Aquatic Plant Forum banner
161 - 180 of 202 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
I know, right!
This doesnt even have half the plants that I have in my main tank. :(
BTW which one of these cant grow emersed or needs some special tinkering to grow emersed.
Red Cabomba, myrio tuberculatum, riccia fluitans, susswasertung, willow moss, giant willow moss, banana plant.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Looks great so far, you may want to leave the top cracked a bit too help avoid molds in the future, or at least a daily airing. As for that list, the Cabomba, and Banana plant are definitely true aquatics, not sure on the Myrio, and the Riccia and Susswasertung can be grown emmersed but don't do that great as they tend to change more than most and won't look too much like the submerged version.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #163 ·
Cabomba, susswasertung, and the banana plant won't grow emersed as far as I can remember. Cavan, miremonster and asukawashere would know for sure though.

The answer might actually be in the plantfinder descriptions http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/plantfinder/

Just click "view all entries" at the bottom and find the plants you want to read about.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Sounds good drew. Be sure to post some photos of your setup and how the plants do.

I've got some plants I just put into an emersed tank, so I'll post those later when I get some time.
Just got done adding plants, it maintained approx 90-95% humidity overnight and through to the lights on here an hour ago! humidity dropped to about 70% while I was adding some plants! gave them a good misting and sealed it up. I'll start a thread there and post a picture or two here.

·
Premium Member
6,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #169 ·
Your setup looks great! The plants will grow in over the next few months and look great.

You can use moss to reduce mold. But it generally doesn't tend to grow for some reason. You don't necessarily want to keep the setup damp, just moist. More water in the beginning then less later on as the plants grow in emersed leaves.

The plants will eventually lose all their submersed leaves.

·
Premium Member
6,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #171 ·
Nope, you don't need to mist.

The thing is, you'll lose submersed leaves no matter if you mist or not. Leaves that are formed under water will never be able to adapt to above water conditions no matter how much you mist and let them transition. They will eventually dry out and die.

This is because they lack a wax cuticle that covers the leaf (when grown out of water) and keeps the moisture in. At some point the submersed leaves will dry out and die and trying to keep them alive by misting will not really help the plant out long term since new emersed leaves will grow. As long as the stem or roots do not dry out and die then the plant will grow.

It does take several weeks - months to fully convert to emersed form so it is more a "set it and forget it" kind of project.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Then they have to do the opposite when transitioning to submersed, right? I am starting to think that is the reasons my ozelot swords are taking forever to grow. I think they were grown emerged for the store, small oval leaves that have died off and new longer, more sword like leaves are growing, still not growing tall like in pics of other swords I have seen.

Does it normally take a long time to convert from emerged to submersed or only the other way around?

·
Premium Member
6,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #173 ·
Yes, converting takes a while in both cases because only the new leaves are adapted to being under water or above water. The other leaves usually die off when switched. You essentially need to wait for the entire plant to regenerate itself in the emersed form or submersed form each time you transition.

Some species are better at this than others and can handle an emersed to submersed transition without losing older leaves. Sword plants are not one of these adaptable species. They lose all their old leave both ways.

You can post pics of your sword plant in the deficiency forum and I can have a look at them for you if you are worried about them.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I am not too worried about them yet, they seem better than before. All the old leaves melted away and new leaves are growing, just slower than the "moderately fast" growth rate I have read about. I have to keep trimming my hygros and wisteria so they don't choke out the swords every week or so due to the swords slooooooowwwwww growth.

Thanks for the reminder about the deficiency forum though, Zap. You are a great help and huge store of knowledge on all nutrient related plant problems!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Nice to meet you all!
I just registered to the forum, because im interested to start a little emersed plan. im thinking to do something like this in the picture. I have to say that i am from Greece and we have a lot of sunlight even now in Winter so i m planning to start a project with only natural sunlight. I will put the box near to the window for natural light. The temp. of my house is 20-22 οC Do you think that this may work good?And i have an other question, i have a little flourite black sand (seachem) and tropica's plant growth substrate, can i mix them and make soil for the emersed plants or can i use them separately?
Thanks again especially for the informations of this topic and the creator!!:D

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #178 ·
Hey sotiris, glad to have you on APC! I'm also Greek, used to live in Athens, where do you live?

I think your plan sounds good. The main issue you will have to worry about is overheating inside the box. If it is kept indoors and gets only a few hours of direct light a day it will very likely be fine. If it is outside under the sun all day in a closed box... then maybe not :) The sun can get pretty intense over there, especially during the summer.

If you are just growing the plants in an emersed tub and do not plan to submerse it later on then you can grow them directly on the soil with no cap. This means you wouldn't have to cover the soil with seachem or tropica's substrate. Basically these substrates are inert (no nutrients in them), they just look nice and give the plants something to hold onto when they are growing underwater.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey sotiris, glad to have you on APC! I'm also Greek, used to live in Athens, where do you live?

I think your plan sounds good. The main issue you will have to worry about is overheating inside the box. If it is kept indoors and gets only a few hours of direct light a day it will very likely be fine. If it is outside under the sun all day in a closed box... then maybe not :) The sun can get pretty intense over there, especially during the summer.

If you are just growing the plants in an emersed tub and do not plan to submerse it later on then you can grow them directly on the soil with no cap. This means you wouldn't have to cover the soil with seachem or tropica's substrate. Basically these substrates are inert (no nutrients in them), they just look nice and give the plants something to hold onto when they are growing underwater.
Nice to hear that you are also Greek, I'm living in Karditsa and I studied in University of Thessaly in Volos aquaculture and aquatic environment and now I'm ichthyologist.
I'm just thinking if it is safe to grow the emersed plants, with common plant soil, because I'm planning to submerse them later.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I couldn't wait anymore so i started the project. A plastic bottle of water, some common soil and a little tablet to fertilise the soil and finally some Ludwigia sp. repens. The last picture shows where i placed the plants for sunlight in front of my "window". Im waiting for your opinion? Thanks again.

Attachments

161 - 180 of 202 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.