Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received some E. stellata from Florida Driftwood and all the stems (except for three that were totally bare) were bent at the tip nearly 180°. Is it usual for this type of growth pattern?

I'm sure that given time the tips will start to point up towards the light, but what would cause them to be bent so much?

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
Nothing to worry about. The plants were probably floated for a while after they were cut, and the tips tried to grow vertically. Maybe they were held upside down for some strange reason. Actually, floating cut stems for a few days in a well lit tank, very likely improves their survival during shipping. Be glad you got them with the leaves still alive and attached. On several occasions when I tried to get E. stellata, the stems promptly lost all their leaves and died from stem rot.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Floated, huh? Never thought of that.

Yeah, I had some concerns about this order after reading how delicate a shipper the Stellata was, but they arrived in pretty good shape. Florida Driftwood had the stems packed in a heat-sealed bag, in a styrofoam lined box.

The Blyxa Japonica I ordered also arrived in good shape, but the Xmas Moss was a ping ping ball sized wad that I was able to cull maybe a teaspoon full of living bits from…that and an equal amount of Duckweed :).

·
Super Moderator
5,865 Posts
I've recently had the same poor experience with Florida Driftwood and would urge anyone considering ordering from this company to reconsider.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Well, you also have to consider that this is probably the worst time of year to ship any perishables. Heat damages quickly. Depending on geography, some people are lucky not to end up with a baggie full of hot, green goo.

I've never ordered from Florida Driftwood, but I'd guess that you would end up with plants in similar condition from any other company. Plants just ship better in cooler weather.

-Naomi

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, to be fair I didn't start this thread to rip Florida Driftwood. I just wanted to know what would cause the stems to be bent so much. HeyPK's explanation seems perfectly reasonable as to how the got in that condition.

And in all honesty the Stellata seems to be picking up rather nicely. Even one of the stems that had no intact leaves (but did have some roots) is starting to put out side shoots. After reading horror stories of how people's Stellata turned to mush in the mail (regardless of who shipped them) I was really please that all the stems were firm and the leaves that were there were in fairly good shape.

In a couple of weeks I think I'll have enough good stems (tall and straight) to transfer into my main tank.

·
Registered
389 Posts
No, it never sounded like you were ripping on FD at all. Actually, it seems like they did a great job of packing the plants and using a styrofoam box. That usually helps. Unfortunately, companies can easily get dissatisfied customers this time of year because of what is more or less the weather's fault. Some places will go above and beyond to compensate for shipments gone bad. With others, just trying to reason with a customer service rep is like talking to a brick wall.

I was actually thinking of ordering some plants from FD last year, but ended up getting what I wanted in a trade. I rarely hear negative feedback regarding this company, unlike some other ones I won't name...

Hope that stellata flourishes for you. Maybe you'll have some to bring to the next SFBAAPS open house :wink: .

-N

·
Registered
62 Posts
ive been trying to grow E. stellata now for almost a year. it always grows well for about 3 months then it just stops growing and slowly melts away. i bought the plant about 4 different times already. i think im just going to give up this plant after this batch dies off. :cry:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts