Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am new to the planted tank world. I am going to set up my 45 gallon planted tank with glosso for the carpet and byxa for the background. I used aquasoil and powersand as the substrate. My tank is equipped with 260W lighting system, pressurized CO2, and fluval 405 filter. I intend to add some algae cleaning fish and shrimps.

What kind of fish AND shrimps would be the most suitable for that role? How many should I add into my 45 gallon tank?

·
Registered
105 Posts
You can add a large group of Ottos (Maybe like 12), and some Red Cherry Shrimp (Start off with like 12 as well, but they will probably give birth to more).

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Red-Tailed Garra (about 6) and some Amano Shrimp (about eight). You will be set! The Garra's are a bit hard to find; let me know if you want them and I'll talk to some of my buddies to see if I can get them for you. Garra's eat absolutely all types of algae, including black beard algae which ottos and cherries won't touch.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Red-Tailed Garra (about 6) and some Amano Shrimp (about eight). You will be set! The Garra's are a bit hard to find; let me know if you want them and I'll talk to some of my buddies to see if I can get them for you. Garra's eat absolutely all types of algae, including black beard algae which ottos and cherries won't touch.
I am curious about the Red-Tailed Garra. It seems to be tough to find any infomation about them on google. Is there anyone have any info such as how big they are, lifespan, care info, etc.?

·
Registered
733 Posts
And don't forget the TRUE Siamese Algae Eaters. They're excellent and an important addition to any tank.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Would the group of otocinlus (maybe 5 of them) alone be able to handle the algae well enough in 45 gallon tank?

·
Registered
311 Posts
And don't forget the TRUE Siamese Algae Eaters. They're excellent and an important addition to any tank.
Only if you don't have any fine-needled plants, like R. Wallichi in your tank. I had real SAEs in my 55G and once they came in, my long beautiful corner of pink-tipped R. Wallichi turned into a forest of long sticks with razor stubble on them.

Damn things were like Piranhas - They couldn't eat it fast enough.

- Jeff

·
Premium Member
546 Posts
I am new to the planted tank world. I am going to set up my 45 gallon planted tank with glosso for the carpet and byxa for the background. I used aquasoil and powersand as the substrate. My tank is equipped with 260W lighting system, pressurized CO2, and fluval 405 filter. I intend to add some algae cleaning fish and shrimps.

What kind of fish AND shrimps would be the most suitable for that role? How many should I add into my 45 gallon tank?
That is alot of light for that size tank. I would run a very short photoperiod- like 5 hours tops when first set up. Garra species are great algae eaters too as are several snail (Neritina) species.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Only if you don't have any fine-needled plants, like R. Wallichi in your tank. I had real SAEs in my 55G and once they came in, my long beautiful corner of pink-tipped R. Wallichi turned into a forest of long sticks with razor stubble on them.

Damn things were like Piranhas - They couldn't eat it fast enough.

- Jeff
Wow, they don't eat any of my plants and they are about 3" long

·
Registered
551 Posts
The American flag fish consumes more algae and sometimes plant matter then any other fish I have ever seen. when I had H.M. he would literally pull tiny pieces of it out of the gravel and shake his head back and forth until he ripped it off and then swallow the thing whole.

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
My SAE's and flying foxes eat Wallichi too. I got rid of them because of it. I also got 2 American Flag fish. I was told they would eat duck weed - they didn't. Maybe it was just the 2 I had.....

Amano shrimp and ottos - the best.

·
Super Moderator
6,406 Posts
Yep, I hear that real SAEs become plant unsafe as they grow older. Apparently they munch on a few more species than just wallichi when fully grown. That is the reason I've never had them... well... that and the fact that I've never seen them for sale in my LFS! :)

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Awwwww. Show some love for SAEs....they are great fish. They may not eat BBA when they get as big as a cigar, but they are interesting. Never had one eat my plants. I have had them jump outta the tank, though! Probably the worst thing is that they are impossible to catch. Gotta give them some respect for that.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Anyone knows where to purchase some otocinclus algae eaters and Amano shrimps in Orange County, CA? I am looking for those from the stores I know, but none seems to have them in stock.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts