Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone!

My timer suddenly stopped working properly. I need to get a new one, then send the one I have back to the manufacturer. I need a timer with at least 2 day and 2 night outlets, and 4 regular outlets. Can anyone suggest super reliable timers? Very much appreciated!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No worries. I'm using one that is exactly like the Coralife day-Night Power Center, but a different brand that I can't recall right now. It's a cheaper one, but still the tab kind. I read somewhere that sometimes the pins can burn out in power surges. Not sure if that's what happened to mine or not. We have had se takneome storms in the past two weeks. It appears to working correctly today. So i'm going to keep an eye on it. the small one I use much like the one you recommended in on a separate wall outlet and is only for the water circulator. I didn't want to over power one wall outlet. I could go the route you've taken by using two, but I'm trying to streamline everything without overloading circuits. My tank sits on top of an heavy duty red industrial cart with wheels. The shelves below are open. Not a cabinet kind of person...yet anyway. So I really like the minimal-ness of one power strip. Just wanted to ask if folks have used a particular one that's very reliable. On another forum people seem to swear by the Coralife, and of course, the awesome ones that reef folks use. But those are beyond my fuzz filled pockets right now. Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
if you want a good one I recommend you go to reef central and check out their dj controller guides. yeah it is diy, but once you have one you will never go back.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi TAB, I'll have to check that out, for sure. I just tried to register on that forum, but it won't go through. I'll give it a shot later today. I'm curious!

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
it is mainly about reefs, but it is by far one of the best aquarium related sites for just general info.

I have built a few of them. would not do a large system with out one. for smaller I will admit that the good ones you can buy at the box stores work great.

·
Registered
123 Posts
For me its an Arduino or an AVR wtih an RTC (real time clock) tied to optically isolated relays. I'm away at work or I'd post pics of the one that I built. You can buy all the parts for less than $20. There are lots of resources for writing the code online. If you want more details on how to do just PM me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts