Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some help picking out the best camera for my moneys worth. How is the sony a200? What is live mode? Thanks a ton.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Live mode is like on a point and shoot camera, where you can see what you're taking a picture of.

Sony I've heard ok things about, I've never personally used one.

It wouldn't be my recommendation however.. I'd suggest taking a look at a Pentax. Specifically, this one (It really is under 500$ if you add it to my cart)

It's weather resistant, 10 MP's, uses AA batteries, and all pentax lenses ever made (which, if you, or anyone you know, happen to have any sitting around from the a few decades ago, can be a real treat. Otherwise, ebay or second hand shops are a great place to pick up old, but awesome, lenses for cheap).

Good luck with your search!

·
Registered
733 Posts
Check DPReview for your research on the cameras in extensive details. You can also check the samples and compare multiple models in this website.

Research for yourself, go to a camera store like Wolf Camera and feel it to get your own comfort level and opinions.

regards,
Ravi

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Live mode is like on a point and shoot camera, where you can see what you're taking a picture of.

Sony I've heard ok things about, I've never personally used one.

It wouldn't be my recommendation however.. I'd suggest taking a look at a Pentax. Specifically, this one (It really is under 500$ if you add it to my cart)

It's weather resistant, 10 MP's, uses AA batteries, and all pentax lenses ever made (which, if you, or anyone you know, happen to have any sitting around from the a few decades ago, can be a real treat. Otherwise, ebay or second hand shops are a great place to pick up old, but awesome, lenses for cheap).

Good luck with your search!
Well I went to look at the k200. very nice camera. The salesperson was pushing another camera on me though. The sony a350. He has a used one with lens for 500. Should I buy this instead of the k200?

·
Premium Member
5,865 Posts
Well I went to look at the k200. very nice camera. The salesperson was pushing another camera on me though. The sony a350. He has a used one with lens for 500. Should I buy this instead of the k200?
I'm not sure about the newer Sonys, but a few years ago when I was looking they mostly only took Sony memory sticks. Look for a camera that uses SD cards as they're the most universal memory format.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I think it would depend what you're really looking for. If I were in your position, I would buy a memory card, take it to the store, and just, play around with each of the cameras your looking at for 20 or 30 minutes. Try the different shooting styles, bring someone (or use a store geek) as a model, see how it reacts to different situations. Most camera stores will be happy to let you do it.

Then, take the pictures home, look through them, see which ones came out best for the kind of photography you want to do. Which camera felt better in your hands? Which was more intuitive. That right there should be your answer.

I have a Pentax, and after more then a year and a half with the brand, I can safely say I won't be switching to anything else in my next upgrade.

Good luck in your search, and let us know what you get!

·
Registered
180 Posts
i came from a nikon slr history so when it was time to go digital slr i naturally went for nikon again. personally i find them very intuitive, for under $500 i got a used d50, body and lens. most likely one of the most popular dslr's out there and for a reason. if it's your first "real camera" i can pretty much guarantee it will take you a very, very long time to grow out of it.

most peep's don't need a 10 or 12 mega pixel resolution unless you plan to blow up huge poster sized prints (most people don't), don't let people talk (sell you up) into it. check craigslist and bring a friend who knows a bit about cameras, there's programs out there that will tell you how many shutter actuation's a camera has used. when i purchased mine it only had 1000ish actuation's which is nothing.

i absolutely love the d50 and would recommend anyone to check them out...then again most photographers are VERY brand loyal.

good luck,
darryl

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ehh..i am over the under 500 thing. OK well Ive been doing nothing except look at cameras. I think I am going to purchase a canon 450d. I really was considering the pantax but I feel like live mode is a must for me. My girl will also be using the camera so I think live mode will help her out. She doesn't like thing to be complicated to say the least. So is the 450d a good buy? I wish it had image stabilization built in the camera rather than the lens. I was also very close to buying a sony a350 on ebay but got outbid. Thanks for the replies so far and keep them coming.

·
Registered
697 Posts
my first dslr was the nikon d50, even though the d40 was coming out, i felt the d50 had more advantages. i loved that camera, until i sold it and bought a d200 :p

and yes, camera brands are all up to personal tastes. i will go along with the others that suggest going with what suits your shooting needs the best. i would also suggest going with the brand that has all the lenses that you would ever dream of or actually able to get. cause that's where most of your money (at least mine did and will) will go to :D

good luck!

·
Registered
58 Posts
As freydo said - its all about personal taste, at least when it comes to the big names (Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Sony). This seems especially true with entry level stuff. I personally use the Sony A700, and chose the Sony system based on legacy Minolta glass and in-body anti-shake technology. However, if I were really into sports & action, or extreme-tele nature photography, I'd probably go with the Canon system based on their specialty glass.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
You cant go wrong with Canon or Nikon. The camera is the cheap part. Start adding the lenses, flashes and filters and that 500 camera is now a few thousand!

What are you planning to shoot? That lens that comes with the Canon is fine for normal photography but you wont be able to do much with macro shots.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I picked up a used 90mm macro for my pentax for less then $100 last year. Was WELL worth the purchase. Granted.. it's probably older then I am, but does what I need it to do, and does it well. Something to be said for old glass. Sony, pentax and samsung all have that going for them. Canon and Nikon, not so much.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Another (cheap) option for macro photography is M42 glass with an adapter and extension tubes. There are millions of these old lenses around, and you can get an adapter for $40 or so. Granted, these lenses are all manual focus, but I find that most macro work is done using manual focus anyways. The only catch is that M42 lenses won't focus to infinity on the Nikon system, due to the lens-to-sensor distance (or so I've heard).

·
Registered
34 Posts
?? canon and nikon have been around for a loooonng time! canon since the 30's and nikon since 1943.
That's true, however most of the old lenses from the 30's and 40's, even up to the 70's and 80's aren't compatible with modern digital cameras. A 40 dollar adapter for your Pentax (or really almost any camera system) will let you use basically any Pentax lens ever made, to infinity, on a digital Pentax body.

Another (cheap) option for macro photography is M42 glass with an adapter and extension tubes. There are millions of these old lenses around, and you can get an adapter for $40 or so. Granted, these lenses are all manual focus, but I find that most macro work is done using manual focus anyways. The only catch is that M42 lenses won't focus to infinity on the Nikon system, due to the lens-to-sensor distance (or so I've heard).
Also true, some of that old M42 glass is gorgeous and they go for nothing. Although, something in the back of my head is telling me on canon they actually MIGHT focus to infinity. Not positive on this one however.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts