Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
putting together a 55g tank was wondering about lighting for low/med tech tank. which would be better, nova extreme with 104 watts or coralite power comp with 50/50 bulbs with 130 watts? the price is about the same. Gerry

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
I have the 130 PC 50/50 for my low/mid tech and like it. Although there is hear-say that the bulbs only put out 55watts instead of 65, giving you 110 instead of 130. Whether that's true or not, I've had good results. Just stay away from the 50/50 bulbs that have "Actinic" light. The actinic does not do ANY good for aquarium plants.

·
Registered
41 Posts
putting together a 55g tank was wondering about lighting for low/med tech tank. which would be better, nova extreme with 104 watts or coralite power comp with 50/50 bulbs with 130 watts? the price is about the same. Gerry
Not sure of nova extreme, but Coralife lights are pretty noisy.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have the 130 PC 50/50 for my low/mid tech and like it. Although there is hear-say that the bulbs only put out 55watts instead of 65, giving you 110 instead of 130. Whether that's true or not, I've had good results. Just stay away from the 50/50 bulbs that have "Actinic" light. The actinic does not do ANY good for aquarium plants.
I thought all 50/50 bulbs were 1/2 10000k and 1/2 Actinic?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I also have a 55 gallon tank and after a couple years wanted the option of growing higher light plants. I bit the bullet and bought a TEK fixture on ebay. It is fabulous. My plants are beautiful- I can grow anything, and the fixture is silent. I wish I had not wasted my money on my "beginner" light fixtures from my lfs. However, I now also add fertilizers, which is so easy with the Seachem program, and CO2.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i didn't think that coralite were beginner lites, maybe i'm wrong. the 50/50 is what i'm trying to figure
out. i thought i read they make one thats 1/2 gro lite and 1/2 6700k. i want to make sure before i order it

·
Registered
19 Posts
You can't go wrong with lights from AH Supply (www.ahsupply.com) The product is of the highest quality, the price is more than reasonable and the customer service cannot be beaten. Just my two cents.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts