Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i need to replace my lights in my light fixture. my LFS has these three options available. which is best for the most growth.

1. 55 watts 6700K
2. 55 watts 10000K
3. 65 watts 6700K

my light fixture is made so that it can hold two light blubs however i run one blub for 2 hours, two blubs 6 hours, and then one bulb for 2 hours.

i have a 15 gallon tank that has java ferns, anubius "coffeefolia", Eusteralis stellata, glossostigma (which isn't gorwing like a carpet yet :x partially because my angles keep pulling them out) and a small patch of riccia. i know i got high light plants and low light plants in the same tank but the anubius is tucked in the shade of my driftwood. any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
676 Posts
My personal preference would be to mix one 6700K and one 10000K bulb. The 6700K bulbs I've seen tend to be too yellow on their own. The 10000K bulb will balance it out to give a whiter look.

But over a 15gal tank running 2 bulbs sounds like massive overkill. I run a pair of 65W bulbs over my 29, but it's 18" tall.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
I agree with Bhrada about the color as well as 2x55 being overkill. I have a 15 gallon with high light stems. It has a custtom built hood made to hold 3x20 watt (24" florescent tubes) I use only 2x20 watt ODNO (over driven normal output). They are over driven 2 times although you don't get twice the light, maybe only 50% again. So I would say thatI have ~50 watts over it and I use GE aqua rays (9325K) the growth is so fast that I get easily 3" a week, I can't keep up with it. It sounds like you are trying to conpensate for lack of some nutrients by using more light. Hope that helps:)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah, i know its a lot of light but that's why i try to stagger the amount it gets (one blub, then two blubs, then one blub). however, when i run one blub, the tank looks really dark. Darker than when i was running 30 watts into it. the bulbs are just under a year old though so i thought it was time to change it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Coming from what I'm using, I have 17G (60cmX36X30) tank with 2x55W 10000K from Matrix. Its quite an extreme amount of light, 6.5W/G but I can't choose less as it come in the set that way.
Java fern and windelov developed spot green algae, and some on the glass too. I took the plants away.
But, glosso thrive very well, grow very flat. H. Micranthemoides also having problem growing vertical :lol: , its just have the height of 10cm for 1 month, but this could also be due to false SAE nipping the tip.
A mini cabomba (sorry don't know exactly what it is) also grow well, along with L.Repens, crypt, and Amazon swords.

I think with high-light tank unless well shaded, Anubias, and all slow growing plant with broad leaf don't seem to be a good choice.

--budi--

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the anubius is shaded really well. almost in complete shade. its doing fine, i got a lot of new leaves sprouting. sometimes the leaves get a little bit of algae on them but i just rub it off with my finger.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts