Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
I've used a Nova Extreme 2x39W and a Nova Extreme 4x39W on a 46 gallon Bow front. The 2x39W was good for Vals, Java Ferns and Rotala (when it got taller) but I wanted to do foreground plants as well so, I bought the 4X39W. The 4X39W Nova Extreme had an "Extremely" loud fan so I had to replace it with a 40 MM computer fan. Since the computer fan spun at a lower velocity, I removed the clear plastic splash shield so the bulbs would remain cooler. I am currently running the 4X39W with 2 Geissmann 6000 Ks and 2 Current 6700 Ks at 8 hours a day. If you can get by with the 2X39W, you won't have to worry about fan noise. For the money ($190.00), the 4X39W works well for me but the 10,000 K bulbs didn't grow plants very well. Even when used with the Geissmanns so that's why I also purchased the 6700 Ks. I did also scuttle the original actinics since they are useless for plants. I think the bottom line is, if you don't want to pay for the Tek, mounting brackets and bulbs, you will probably need to swap the fan and bulbs on the Extreme 4X39W. I like the Extreme 4X39 because it is only 8 X 36 inches and looks good but, it requires changes.

I hope this helps!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.