Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a new tiny orange female betta fish I named Poppy! She's in a 2.6 tank with heater, but no filter. I've had her for 48 hours.

-I'm having trouble keeping the tank warm. I started with a 10W heater and upgraded to a 20W, but I woke up this morning and her tank was under 75 degrees! Otherwise the heater seems set at 77 degrees.

-I don't have a filter because of the size of the tank and also the fact that bettas don't like flow. I also saw one of the small filters for sale had chemicals known to cause cancer.

-I have gravel and plants, and she seems happy so far (see pic).

Do I need to upgrade to a 5 gallon tank in order to get her warm enough water? I am a complete newbie and a 5 gallon tank is beyond my expertise at this point.

Thanks for any advice you can provide!
D087C136-9AA2-47E0-B944-CE5230F19346_1_201_a.jpeg

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
10W is enough. All heaters are not calibrated. If you find it heating less than the setting, just bump up the setting. 78-80F is the ideal temperature for them.

·
Registered
36 Posts
For filtration you should use a small sponge filter. Something like a caf 10 would work:
-
You would of course need a small air pump and a valve on the air pump to adjust flow.
-
You can run it at a very gentle flow rate and bury the plastic base in the substrate. For temp - a bit depends on the temp of the room. Not sure how you determined the temp of the tank but with almost no flow there might be a problem that the area around the heater is warm while the rest of the tank remains cooler. Betta can actually handle a bit of flow just not a jet stream.
-
It wouldn't hurt to eventually get a 5 gallon tank but i think until the fish gets larger this tank is fine. The plants are fine and the fish doens't look tortured. A 5 gallon would of course be larger - if you are in the us you could wait till petco has a $ sale or even the regular price of $12 is not too bad. The larger tank isn't going to help with the temp - circulation might help or you could try a heater like this one:
https://www.amazon.com/FREESEA-25-300-Aquarium-Submersible-Thermometer/dp/B07SY73N2N/

or this one:

(the second one is a bit smaller)
--
You do need to keep an eye on the water - without a filter some ammonia will build up as the fish eats and produces waste (or uneaten food settles in the tank). this is not healthy for the fish and you can replace some of the water (maybe 1/3) but make sure the new water has no chlorine - either use something like sachem prime or let the water sit out over night - also make sure the new water isn't too cold when you put in the tank else you will shock the fish. Once you get a filter of some sort it will take about 2ish weeks for it to become 'establish' that is be able to break down waste and remove ammonia produced by the fish. The actual details are a bit more complicated but not necessary you understand them.
-
good luck.

·
Super Moderator
5,835 Posts
Despite some of the other messages, I would like to welcome you to APC! Let me reassure you on a few things.

1. A difference between 77F and 75F during 24 hours is nothing to worry about. Bettas do like to be warm, but that temperature change is fine.
2. Bettas love heavily planted tanks, and floaters are good for them. Just make sure the plants have enough light to remain healthy. Healthy plants perform many of the functions of a filter.
3. Yes, 5 gallons would be better just because the water temperature and chemistry is more stable. But with proper care, your betta can be healthy in 2.5 g.
4. Jake has generally given you good advice.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
10W is enough. All heaters are not calibrated. If you find it heating less than the setting, just bump up the setting. 78-80F is the ideal temperature for them.
Thanks! It makes sense that the temp fluctuates a bit. Unfortunately, the heaters I've found for the smaller tanks aren't adjustable. But I'll look and see if I can find one! I'd like to keep her at 80 degrees.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
For filtration you should use a small sponge filter. Something like a caf 10 would work:
-
You would of course need a small air pump and a valve on the air pump to adjust flow.
-
You can run it at a very gentle flow rate and bury the plastic base in the substrate. For temp - a bit depends on the temp of the room. Not sure how you determined the temp of the tank but with almost no flow there might be a problem that the area around the heater is warm while the rest of the tank remains cooler. Betta can actually handle a bit of flow just not a jet stream.
-
It wouldn't hurt to eventually get a 5 gallon tank but i think until the fish gets larger this tank is fine. The plants are fine and the fish doens't look tortured. A 5 gallon would of course be larger - if you are in the us you could wait till petco has a $ sale or even the regular price of $12 is not too bad. The larger tank isn't going to help with the temp - circulation might help or you could try a heater like this one:
https://www.amazon.com/FREESEA-25-300-Aquarium-Submersible-Thermometer/dp/B07SY73N2N/

or this one:

(the second one is a bit smaller)
--
You do need to keep an eye on the water - without a filter some ammonia will build up as the fish eats and produces waste (or uneaten food settles in the tank). this is not healthy for the fish and you can replace some of the water (maybe 1/3) but make sure the new water has no chlorine - either use something like sachem prime or let the water sit out over night - also make sure the new water isn't too cold when you put in the tank else you will shock the fish. Once you get a filter of some sort it will take about 2ish weeks for it to become 'establish' that is be able to break down waste and remove ammonia produced by the fish. The actual details are a bit more complicated but not necessary you understand them.
-
good luck.
Awesome, thanks for all the info and the recommendations! I'll look into those products.

For now I'll be sure to replace some of the water very regularly. I'm thinking 1/3 every other day, using the Sachem Prime.

I may just get a 5 gallon tank that comes with everything!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Despite some of the other messages, I would like to welcome you to APC! Let me reassure you on a few things.

1. A difference between 77F and 75F during 24 hours is nothing to worry about. Bettas do like to be warm, but that temperature change is fine.
2. Bettas love heavily planted tanks, and floaters are good for them. Just make sure the plants have enough light to remain healthy. Healthy plants perform many of the functions of a filter.
3. Yes, 5 gallons would be better just because the water temperature and chemistry is more stable. But with proper care, your betta can be healthy in 2.5 g.
4. Jake has generally given you good advice.
Thanks so much for the warm welcome, and for the information! :) I'm looking forward to finding out more.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts