Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just set up a new Betta & Celestial Pearl Danio tank. I have just stuffed it with plants. It's not really scaped. I have seeded it with mulm from another tank. It has DIY CO2. I dose EI with dry ferts. There are 3 panda corys in there. (They are so cute.)

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
Those danios are absolutely gorgeous! They look like tiny rainbow trout, except with more color.

I can't wait to see what this tank grows into!

-Dave

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's so funny. They all hide in the java moss. I hope once they get used to me they will swim around so you can see them. If you look over at the tank all you see is the betta. The only reason they were out for the px is that they came out to get food from the catfish pellet I had dropped in there for the pandas.

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Wanted to feature a couple of plants in this tank. The scape has changed A LOT! Need to pull a few out for Tex Guy's tank and then will snap some tank pxs.

Limnophia mini

Rotala Macrandra - green

Mystery Plant

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
The betta terrorized them. They hid all the time. SO he is now on Tex Guy's desk in a 2 gallon bowl all his own. Tex Guy has named him Liberace. LOL He seems happy, and flails his fins "Hi" to everyone that goes into the room. He has trained us to feed him that way! :D

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Where's the Golden Ratio? :D
It got lost in all the plants! :badgrin:

Actually, I began with Flourite as a substrate. It was not growing things well. When I ordered Tex Guy's ADA Amazonia I got some for this tank. About 2 weeks ago, I added it to the flourite (about doubled the depth). I stuck in Najas sp 'Roraima' since it's a nitrate hog. The fish and tank have faired well. Now when Tex Guy's gets his tank and I pull some stuff out I'll be able to clean it up and post pxs.

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sunstar - I've been following your Betta thread. Love the px of the egg spawning. I'll be interested to see how many fry you end up with. I love the entire fish spawning, breeding thing.

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
NEW PX. It's turned into a jungle! I added ADA Aquasoil. Flourite just doesn't cut it. Look at the difference! I added the ADA by cupful on top of the Flourite. I was able to do this with the fish in the tank because I put Najas sp "Roraima" in there. It is a HUGE ammonia user. Saved cycling and fish. WONDERFUL! I will be taking some types of plants out as soon as Tex Guy gets his act together. Will also sell some soon.

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
Wow, what a difference! I notice NO algae!? DIY and EI, what is your lighting schedule and intensity?

Tank looks great, TexGal. I can't wait to see what TexGuy comes up with. :D

-Dave

·
Registered
173 Posts
are you using co2? is it diy or is it pressurized?

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks Dave. It'll look much better when the plants are thinned. Too many in there.

I used to do DIY CO2 but went pressurized about a month ago. I do EI dosing with extra iron. I have the regular hood that comes with the petsmart goldfish tank kit. I don't get the freshwater kit because it doesn't have the screw in light bulb kit. I use these bulbs. I did cut back to the 16/75 watt. (px'd is the 24/100 watt). My photo period is 9 hours.

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
Okay, thanks for the info. I'm still getting a film on my glass that has to be wiped off weekly (or more). I think maybe I'll cut back the hours (currently at 10.5) .

-Dave

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That mystery plant looks awesome!
No more mystery. It is Limnophilia sp 'Guinea' broadleaf. It's so petite and delicate. I really like it.

I also have Lino sp 'wavy'. It's a cool plant. Not sure what I'm gonna do with it. When I clear the tank from Tex Guy's plants I'll have to remove it. Maybe in my grow out tank. Not sure yet. It's a neat plant . I'll try to get a px of it... :D

I do have another one in the tank. I don't know where it came from. It's in the center of the tank. It's behind the Hyro. porto velho. I have no idea where it came from. It just appeared in my tank. (Wonder if it came from the ADA AquaSoil?) SO WEIRD!

·
Registered
159 Posts
This is such a wonderful tank. I wish I could grow a jungle like this which I'm only able to do in my 2gal hex right next to the window, which some might consider cheating. I like how you have so much variety.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Thanks Dave. It'll look much better when the plants are thinned. Too many in there.

I used to do DIY CO2 but went pressurized about a month ago. I do EI dosing with extra iron. I have the regular hood that comes with the petsmart goldfish tank kit. I don't get the freshwater kit because it doesn't have the screw in light bulb kit. I use these bulbs. I did cut back to the 16/75 watt. (px'd is the 24/100 watt). My photo period is 9 hours.

Where did you find that bulb? I have looked all over and can only find the spiral ones.

Your tank is beautiful!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts