Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Wow! That has got to be the best betta tank ever! I think it looks like a 10 gallon, amazing work with details. I made a foam background twice, if you use plenty of glue then the wall won't float up. The biggest problems I ran into was the foam rocks loved to detach and fly out of the tank like rockets! You might want to look into using liquid nails and crazy glue also, having the background fall apart is no fun. Can't wait to see this tank planted up! Oh yeah, vinegar might help the cement cure a little quicker, just Google around, some good tips/tricks out there!:D

·
Registered
341 Posts
Make sure you use a pretty willow, this tank is way to cool to be ugly! I wouldn't worry about getting the stone color perfect, stuff will grow on it after awhile and dull it down. Your pics of the dry run looked awesome! I think this tank will put any commercially made background to shame, especially since you are blending real plants and roots/wood into it. This thread is a huge inspiration, this is the look I am aiming for when I redo my big tank, a natural looking cut in a stream bank with roots growing out! You really are a bad influence....You might want to soak the roots so they will sink, and they might not need any glue if they fit snugly, that way you can rearrange things without having to rip anything apart...stepping off my soap box now...keep the updates rolling!!!:whoo:

·
Registered
341 Posts
Absolutely killer! When you first mentioned red flourite, I thought it would be an eyesore, but the whole thing turned out perfect! I think it already looks perfect, but when you add a few leaves the flourite will blend right in and not look so bulky. I was just thinking about what really inspires me, and I always end up with an image of tannin stained creeks that I used to fish in. I was already planning to do a biotope look with leaves and roots in my big tank, but after seeing Koan's Kondo in paradise I really feel inspired to go this route. I like the look of heavily manicured aquascapes, but the tanks that look like a slice of real nature always catch my eye!

I still can't believe it's not butter, or that the tank is not at least 10 gallons! Alright, enough sucking up (but the tank kicksass!!!). My willow tree is shooting roots all over, (I should update pics) the problem is that the roots are long and going all over the place! They are very thin and white, and they look like frogbit roots that got to long. Not exactly the tree root look I was going for. If the willow doesn't work out for you, consider using red mangroves, usually on ebay for $1 a seed. Mangroves grow super slow, but the roots are nice and thick, and they are like slow moving tanks- hard to kill, but they don't need to be trimmed all the time because of the slow growth. The only problem I had with them is that they grow tall, but I will try them again once I make up my mind (if I ever find it again):rolleyes:.

Keep the updates rolling, this tanks looks just like a creek bank! And it already looked natural before you even added plants!! Isn't it time for another update yet?

·
Registered
341 Posts
I love how this tank turned out! I really like how the red flourite looks, I think it blends in well with the mud wall. This is the most natural looking tank I have ever seen! Sorry about the betta, don't be hard on yourself, bettas and goldfish are still kept in horrible conditions at pet stores and a lot of them don't stand a chance at having a long healthy life. It still amazes me when people keep bettas in those little cups. Sure, these fish live in mud puddles, but a 100 gallon mud puddle is still bigger than a shot glass.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts