Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My betta is a beautiful fish in a heavily planted 5 gallon. He’s had fin and mouth rot before but with nitrofurazone he healed within a week. Couple months down the road, I’ve now got a group of 11 cherry shrimp and 3 Amano shrimp and one ghost shrimp. There’s also an Otocinclus catfish and a bumblebee catfish. A couple days ago I noticed a tear in my bettas tail fin all the way to the base of the tail. I wrote it off to his fins getting extremely long, longer than I’ve ever seen a bettas fins before. Enter today, I just got home from work and the bettas fins are all but gone. I’ve never seen fin rot completely devour a bettas fins in a mere few days. Is that possible? I noticed the tanks temp is a bit lower than normal down to 74F instead of 76-78 like it usually is and I haven’t done a water change in ages. All the shrimp are frantically cleaning due to all the algae being consumed.(I had a huge bloom of hair algae recently) Would shrimp attack a betta? Or has fin rot took hold and did that much damage in just a few days?

Attachments

·
Registered
527 Posts
What exact species of "ghost shrimp" do you have? Google search reveals many different types. It's even possible that you have Macrobrachium shrimp, which can do quite a lot of damage with its claws/pincers.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What exact species of "ghost shrimp" do you have? Google search reveals many different types. It's even possible that you have Macrobrachium shrimp, which can do quite a lot of damage with its claws/pincers.
It's just one little feeder ghost shrimp, the harmless little guys. I rarely see it in my overgrown jungle of a tank.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would blame the bumblebee catfish Betta's long fluttery fins are an attractive meal to many fish.
Yeah I was thinking about the bumblebee being a possible culprit but I also thought the catfish would've been more interested in making a meal of one of the VERY small 1/4" long cherry shrimp over a massive betta. Especially being that my bumblebee catfish is on the smaller side.

·
Registered
37 Posts
My betta is a beautiful fish in a heavily planted 5 gallon. He's had fin and mouth rot before but with nitrofurazone he healed within a week.

Columnaris in fish

Columnaris (also referred to as cottonmouth) is a symptom of disease in fish which results from an infection caused by the Gram-negative, aerobic, rod-shaped bacterium Flavobacterium columnare. It was previously known as Bacillus columnaris, Chondrococcus columnaris, Cytophaga columnaris and Flexibacter columnaris.

In this image link, you will see all sorts of fish with their fins destroyed. I did much research and it is insidious. The cell layer of fins is one cell deep - so easily invaded by bacteria. I eventually treated my fish with the old fashioned Dr. Innes saltwater baths and INTERNAL medication for treatment. (that said only a few survived - by the time the tails are going and gone or the cotton mouth is obvious the bacteria is already invaded into the fish organs, doing great internal damage.

The link below will show it is not just bettas but any fish - it will sadly show both dorsal and other fins completely eaten up. (it invades to the internal organs) At this stage best to put the fish down humanely (in the dark with a whack).

https://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs...=yhs-mozilla-100&hspart=mozilla&hsimp=yhs-100

http://www.bettaboxx.com/betta-disease-illness/fin-rot-body-rot/

This link show the many other fish with destroyed fins (by that time it is almost too late).

https://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs...cteria+in+tail+rot&fr2=sp-qrw-corr-top&norw=1

·
Super Moderator
2,637 Posts
Here's a possibility. No disease. Your Betta may be carrying the Merah gene resulting in the expression of the "Crowntail phenotype (see photos).

The gene causes the apoptosis (cell suicide) of tissue in between the fish rays. Some breeders like the "Crowntail" look, so your Betta could very well be carrying it.

I saw it in a few of my guppies that were sired by a swordtail guppy. (Not complaining, because that swordtail introduced a boatload of good genes into my fancy strain. Besides, I can breed out the Merah gene.) Many of the F1 had torn fins, which I dismissed, but one F2 developed the crowntail at about 6 months. That's when I realized it was a gene causing the problem.

Attached are photos of a crowntail Betta and a guppy. (Fish and photos are not mine; I'm not a fan of Crowntails.)

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts