Aquatic Plant Forum banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Try some thrift stores or garage sales, that's where most of my glass bowls and vases came from.
Ive checking both those out as well, along with estate sales but you know how it goes, as soon as i went out to find one their were none to be found 馃槵. So thats why ive expanded my search to some stores as well.

Registered

Registered
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
So i almost have the soil ready for the tank im going to pick up one of the bowls from micheals the largest size.
I was looking for a light as well had the one from petsmart thag someone already reced but was also considering one of these
Now im not sure which wattage to use im too used to figuring all lighting in PAR now.
This is the dimensions of the bowl according to their website 12" (30.48 cm) bowl is 12" diameter x 9.5" tall (30.48cm x 24.13cm), with 9.125" (23.17cm) diameter opening so im not sure how many actual gallond it is.
If someone can give me some suggestions that would be great.

Registered
So i almost have the soil ready for the tank im going to pick up one of the bowls from micheals the largest size.
I was looking for a light as well had the one from petsmart thag someone already reced but was also considering one of these
Now im not sure which wattage to use im too used to figuring all lighting in PAR now.
This is the dimensions of the bowl according to their website 12" (30.48 cm) bowl is 12" diameter x 9.5" tall (30.48cm x 24.13cm), with 9.125" (23.17cm) diameter opening so im not sure how many actual gallond it is.
If someone can give me some suggestions that would be great.
It depends on the size and shape of the bowl. At 9.5" inches high, the bowl's water surface would be a full 10 inches away from the light's beam, maybe more (if, you don't fill the bowl all the way up!) And, 450 lumens is not all that bright to begin with. A clip on light can get much closer and the light would be more concentrated..

Registered
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
It depends on the size and shape of the bowl. At 9.5" inches high, the bowl's water surface would be a full 10 inches away from the light's beam, maybe more (if, you don't fill the bowl all the way up!) And, 450 lumens is not all that bright to begin with. A clip on light can get much closer and the light would be more concentrated..
Good to know thats what i kind of figured, im used to figuring things out in PAR. I already started looking at clip on light instead. I still have the that topfin light saved as a possibility, maybe ill just go with that. Im just always cocerned about longjevity when it comes to lights and topfin has always been in my experience a iffy beand quality wise.
Thanks

Registered
Good to know thats what i kind of figured, im used to figuring things out in PAR. I already started looking at clip on light instead. I still have the that topfin light saved as a possibility, maybe ill just go with that. Im just always cocerned about longjevity when it comes to lights and topfin has always been in my experience a iffy beand quality wise.
Thanks
Yes, no one seems to swear by that brand. But, this is just an experimental bowl, right? Are fish going to go in there?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Yes, no one seems to swear by that brand. But, this is just an experimental bowl, right? Are fish going to go in there?
Uhhhhh yes i will most likely end up sticking a betta in this bowl or perhaps shrimp eventually. It is a expermential bowl but the intent is for it to be successful so i can temporally move my betta from my spec III into it while i convert the spec to soil as well then move my betta back to the spec.
So yes it will have fish lol
Ill keep looking im sure i can find something decent thats not $80 lol. Ied be fine with spending $30 or so ive just never had never had good experience with top fin馃槕

Registered
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I just started looking again at clip on light prices....... most of are $80 馃槄馃槄馃槱

Registered
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Yeah, I'm thinking for that amount of money you buy a whole new nano tank.
Yah thats what my thoughts are....... even though i was really hopeing to avoid spending that kind of money... 馃槱
In Diana's book their was that section on lighting that talked about bow plants use tge green/yellow light more so that could give me the option for a desk lamp and regular cool white led bulb. Even with that though ied probably be looking at $40-50 before i even througb in a heater.
Or i can go all in one again and pick up a whole new nano tank.......
Soooo...... anyone selling a old nano tank...馃槄馃槄 or have a suggestion thats slightly more affordable

Registered
It's possible we're both overthinking this. By "experimental", you mean you won't be using this setup on a permanent basis. You want a place where you can deal with a big nutrient dump while you kick-start some rapid growth among your rooted plants. It could take a few days or it could take a few weeks for all of that nitrogen to reach a level safe enough for aquatic animals. Then, you want to move your betta to that setup while you repeat the process in its vacated nano tank. Am I reading you correctly?

In a sense, every tank is an experiment; something's going to be different no matter how many previous tanks you may have set up. I would be asking myself whether it's really necessary to go through this process twice in two separate tanks?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
It's possible we're both overthinking this. By "experimental", you mean you won't be using this setup on a permanent basis. You want a place where you can deal with a big nutrient dump while you kick-start some rapid growth among your rooted plants. It could take a few days or it could take a few weeks for all of that nitrogen to reach a level safe enough for aquatic animals. Then, you want to move your betta to that setup while you repeat the process in its vacated nano tank. Am I reading you correctly?

In a sense, every tank is an experiment; something's going to be different no matter how many previous tanks you may have set up. I would be asking myself whether it's really necessary to go through this process twice in two separate tanks?
Yah thats exactly what i had planned to do. I wouldnt be surprised if i was overthinking this im notirious for overthinking combined with massive amounts of research.

I just had no clue what to do with my resident betta while i try to shift the Spec over to soil. I cerently dont want anything to go wrong that i kill him. I mean the tank is about 4 monthe old and is cycled......

So thats why i started the idea of another tank that would be soil from the very start and then move him to that tank and repeat process on spec... and its just clearly snowballed....馃槕
So i either figure out how i can saftly transition my spec with betta to soil tank and then tackle an additional tank at a later date or figure out a cheap option for a whole new tank right now....

Registered
Yah thats exactly what i had planned to do. I wouldnt be surprised if i was overthinking this im notirious for overthinking combined with massive amounts of research.

I just had no clue what to do with my resident betta while i try to shift the Spec over to soil. I cerently dont want anything to go wrong that i kill him. I mean the tank is about 4 monthe old and is cycled......

So thats why i started the idea of another tank that would be soil from the very start and then move him to that tank and repeat process on spec... and its just clearly snowballed....馃槕
So i either figure out how i can saftly transition my spec with betta to soil tank and then tackle an additional tank at a later date or figure out a cheap option for a whole new tank right now....
Or, just temporarily transfer your betta to a low tech bowl without soil or plants while you get the spec up to speed.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Or, just temporarily transfer your betta to a low tech bowl without soil or plants while you get the spec up to speed.
Ive never done this before. Would i just take water from his current tank and put it in a small bowl? How long can i saftly keep him that way. I mean i know they hang out in bowls like that all the time in the petstores.
But it would give me more time to think about another tank and possibly wait for black friday deals lol 馃檭

Registered
Ive never done this before. Would i just take water from his current tank and put it in a small bowl? How long can i saftly keep him that way. I mean i know they hang out in bowls like that all the time in the petstores.
But it would give me more time to think about another tank and possibly wait for black friday deals lol 馃檭
Well, you already have a 9" in. high bowl now, right? I would use that.
Full Disclosure: I've never kept bettas. But, from everything I've read oxygen would not be a problem since they get their air directly from the surface. Your main worry would be keeping the water free of ammonia. Definitely use water from the spec since it's already been cycled. Heck, if you have access to STS, lay a thin layer of that on the bottom in order for beneficial bacteria to propagate. And a few sticks of lucky bamboo. It's hard to imagine the water changes would be much more frequent than what you're doing right now which is 50% water changes a week.

Registered
I wanted this tank to be middle ground. Not low tech but not high tech but clearly something is off.
Now im wondering if i should swap substrate but i had been told that the substrates with additives for plants were useless because once the nutrients, that i was told only last about 6 months,
People add soil to the tank simply to add nutrients the plants need. However you are adding fertilizer. The fertilizer should take care of nutrients unless there is a problem We all would like to assume that all fertilizers on the market will provide all the nutrients plants need. Unfortunately the reality is the most don't

For EI dosing Everyone doses NPK for macros Unfortunately NPK are not the only macros. The full list of macros is N, K, Ca, MG, P, S, Most people don't worry about calcium and magneisum and sulfur simply because most of the time tap water it. But that isn't always the case. And if you are using RO water your tank would definitely be deficient in these.

You should monitor your GH level with a GH test kit. The GH test detects only calcium and magnesium. So it could tell you if you have ea lot or very little. But note it doesn't tell you if your water has only calcium or only magnesium. If possible look up your water utility water quality report. It might list the typical values for Ca and Mg in your water.Or you could get a GH booster from the store and boost your GH to see if it helps. Seachem Equilibrium has Ca, Mg, and S and would satisfy that need. Or you can make your own.

For the EI micros most people use CSM+B. Everyone assumes it takes care of all of the macro needs but again it has some of problems:
  • The big issue is that the iron nutrient in it is Iron EDTA. Iron EDTA is only stable at a PH of 6.5 or less. Ifyour PH is above that level the iron will convert to iron oxide which is unusable by plants.
  • It doesn't contain enough zinc to satisfy the needs of the plants.
  • And you are using RO water it doesn't have chlorine. Yes Chlorine is a nutrient but plants can't use it in it's toxic and corrosive gas form. Plants typically get it from safe chloride salts such as calcium chloride, potassium chloride, sodium chloride, or magnesium chloride. Tap water is typically sterilized with chlorine. And even after using a water conditioner the chlorine is still pressent in the form of chloride salts the plants can use.
For most successful EI tanks enough CO2 is added to keep the PH in the low 6 to 6.5 range. which does help prevent iron loss. But the easier solution is to use a form of iron that is stable at your water PH. One of the best iron nutrients for aquariums is Iron DTPA. It is stable at a ph of 7.5 or less but may be usable up to about 8. Iron gluconate is easy to find (Seachem iron uses it) and PH has no effect on it. but it is best used in frequent small doses because bacteria will consume the gluconate and destroy it. The last choice is iron EDHHA with is stable at a PH of about 10 or less. However this for of iron does color the water red. so it is best used in small amounts when the color might not be noticeable. At a dose of 0.03ppm the color might not be noticalble.

GLA now sells a upgraded CSM+B iron mix that now does incorporate iron DTPA and additional zinc.IF you are using tapster you shouldn't have to worry about Chlorine as long as you do weekly water changes.

As to liquid carbon I never saw anything indicating it helped my plants and in fact it is toxic to some. If you have a paint ball tank You could use the inverted bottle methode to get CO2 into your water. This video shows it. It is much more efficient at getting CO2 into the water and you cannot put too much into your tank which can kill fish. Note drop checkers don't work at the low CO2 level this methode provides in the tank. But dispite that my plant still do pearl slowly.

Also note I only dose macros and micros once a week right after a 50% water change in my 5 gallon srimp tank. i think the the every other day recommendation for micro dosing was done due torn losses and the low level is zinc in regular EI micro mixes. Also I don't use bright light.

If any of the issues I have mentioned apply to your tank mixing them should help your plants without the need of adding soil to your tank.

Registered
I just started looking again at clip on light prices....... most of are $80 馃槄馃槄馃槱
Not sure exactly what your experimental setup looks like...did you settle on a bowl/tank to use?

But for my new bowl experiment I bought a $10 lamp from Target and just put a bog standard LED bulb (same ones I use for all my house lights) in it and...well everything seems to be growing fine lol. Eventually I want to swap it out for a cooler color bulb because I believe that range of light is better for the plants. But I've not been too motivated to do so since everything is working out fine for now. So especially for a smaller setup I think you can get away with a lot less than $80 for lighting.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts