Aquatic Plant Forum banner
61 - 68 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Plant community Plant Nature Leaf Natural environment

So been meaning to reread DW online post on the shrimp tanks but life has been one interuption after another and the tank has been getting away from me. I need to make some adjustments. The algea is not really improving. I think i need to go in and wipe down the walls and do another small water change to clean things up a bit.
I added in a small water hyacinth to try and help combat the extra nutrients until the plants start showing more solid growth.
Plant Light Purple Liquid Entertainment

This is some the algea im dealing with i think its green green string/hair algae. Very hard to get a pic of but i tried.
Ive also been going in and rubbing the algae off the leaves of the plant and off tge roots and leaves of the floating tiger.
Water Underwater Fluid Organism Marine biology

·
Registered
313 Posts
In rereading some of your posts, I'm theorizing that between the algae and the beneficial bacteria which marked your tank's "cycling" your plants are not getting enough ammonia/ammonium and having to rely on the nitrates in your tank as a secondary food source. Aquatic plants favor the uptake of ammonia but will settle for nitrates, if not enough of the former is available. But, it comes at a cost in the plant's uptake efficiency, resulting in slower growth.
Counterintuitively, the solution may be to add more plants and to consider putting Captain back in the tank.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 · (Edited)
In rereading some of your posts, I'm theorizing that between the algae and the beneficial bacteria which marked your tank's "cycling" your plants are not getting enough ammonia/ammonium and having to rely on the nitrates in your tank as a secondary food source. Aquatic plants favor the uptake of ammonia but will settle for nitrates, if not enough of the former is available. But, it comes at a cost in the plant's uptake efficiency, resulting in slower growth.
Counterintuitively, the solution may be to add more plants and to consider putting Captain back in the tank.
Ill get captian back in the tank after i claen the walls and take the turkey baster to the excess plant matter floating around. All the tank levels have been stable so i had planned to move him and the snails back in on monday. I figured it was something along those lines of me still being in a inbetween stage. If i understood the section about soil correctly then the compost i used is still in the process of breaking down/mineralizing, refering to the section about the vals and plant growth in soil soaked for 6 weeks or less then 6 weeks.
Im not sure where i would be able to add more plants, but then maybe im thinking too much like a landscaper/desginer would, considering the mature size of the plant and allowing for that growth to prevent overcorwding which then leads to its own set of issues.

I just wanted to make sure i wasnt going to have any issues with the soil that impact Captians health.
Thanks for the continued advice.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Im not sure where i would be able to add more plants, but then maybe im thinking too much like a landscaper/desginer would, considering the mature size of the plant and allowing for that growth to prevent overcorwding which then leads to its own set of issues.
You're worried about having too many plants? I'm looking at your tank and scratching my head. :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
You're worried about having too many plants? I'm looking at your tank and scratching my head. :)
Lol i just have issues placeing things, i feel like it looks cluttered and that the plants will not grow well as a result, which i know it counterintutive to actual aquatic ecosystems. Ill be adding more plants in the star grass just went to pot on me over night.
Plant Organism Vegetation Water Terrestrial plant

It was fine looking when i moved Captian back in on Sunday night and didnt really notice anything yesterday. Was looking the tank over this am and noticed all the leaves were basically grey.
Do i have anaerobic soil in that spot? Go in a poke the spot before adding new plants?
I think i add some new star grass, rotala h'ra, ludwigia lacustris and stypen repens.
The micro chain sword doesnt seem to ve doing so hot either.
Now im worried i moved Captain back to soon and this is all in the process of blowing up in my face. Things change so rapidly in tanks.
If anyone else has plant suggestions let me know. Ill add enoung to make it a cluttered, unslightly mess
Plant Light Terrestrial plant Grass Sunlight

·
Registered
313 Posts
Lol i just have issues placeing things, i feel like it looks cluttered and that the plants will not grow well as a result, which i know it counterintutive to actual aquatic ecosystems. Ill be adding more plants in the star grass just went to pot on me over night.
View attachment 74037
It was fine looking when i moved Captian back in on Sunday night and didnt really notice anything yesterday. Was looking the tank over this am and noticed all the leaves were basically grey.
Do i have anaerobic soil in that spot? Go in a poke the spot before adding new plants?
I think i add some new star grass, rotala h'ra, ludwigia lacustris and stypen repens.
The micro chain sword doesnt seem to ve doing so hot either.
Now im worried i moved Captain back to soon and this is all in the process of blowing up in my face. Things change so rapidly in tanks.
If anyone else has plant suggestions let me know. Ill add enoung to make it a cluttered, unslightly mess
View attachment 74038
You're fine. There's a good chance there are anaerobic spots.The rotten egg smelling gas will escape through the water surface However, most of the bubbles are probably just CO2 which is a good thing to have going on in your soil. .

·
Registered
150 Posts
Hello, how is the tank doing? I didn't read thoroughly the entire thread, but from some parts I got the impression that the light intensity might be high. Tropica suggest up to 20lumen/litre for easy plants, 20-40lumen/lt for medium and >40 lum/lt for advanced plants. That might help you balance your tank better, as your nutrient supply (fish poo + plant melts) is constant, your CO2 supply (livestock respiration) is probably constant as well, so the last parameter (light) is the one that will make or break the balance between the three. That means that excessive light breaks the balance, insufficient light does so as well. If your tank volume is 10L If so, the net water volume could probably be around 7,5-8L. I saw a lamp in the discussion that was rated 450Lumen. So, that means 450/8=56,25lumen/L. In theory that could mean too much light.

Since you mentioned good growth for cryptocorynes, the substrate is healthy, since you mentioned good growth for floaters, nutrients from the water column are removed as well (are stem plants doing good?). The only thing I can think of is too much light. That was the case for my 60L cube (47L net volume) where I decreased the light intensity to 70% and haven't noticed algae on the glass for a few weeks now. 70% intensity for my lamp meant I am now at 20-25lumen/liter without artificial ferts and only sugar-yeast CO2.

If your light is dimmable, I think that you could readjust and see how it goes from there.

Good luck!

Reference:

61 - 68 of 68 Posts