Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
Remember not to drip-acclimate a shipped fish! When you open the bag, the oxygen will start converting nitrogen stored in the bag to ammonia (I don't fully understand the process so if someone could elaborate that would be great, but this is what I've heard). So it's better to temperature acclimate with the bag closed and then transfer over right away.

The coloration in the bag may be medication or some chemicals to make shipping easier? Just speculation.
You're thinking of ammonium (acidic low pH) is less toxic or even non-toxic since the bag is full of CO2 (causes low pH). The tannins are also acidic so they will keep the water pH low.
Once you open the bag, the CO2 leaves and the pH rises causing the ammonium to turn into ammonia which is toxic.

I would float the bag to temperature acclimate at least.

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
You can buy or make tannin tea to put in the tank by boiling dry leaves. You can collect dry edible fruit & nut leaves that haven't been sprayed for pesticides. You can buy banana leaves in the Asian market to dry for this use. It's much cheaper than Indian Almond leaves. I would wash all the leaves first.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts