Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had this guy for around 6 months. He lives in a 70 litre planted "El natural" tank, heavily planted, with a bunch of cherry shrimp, 3 otocinclus and a handful (about 8?) of ember tetras and Endler's livebearers.

The tank gets around 30% water change every couple of weeks. Nitrates are low, it's been cycled for years, water is very soft.

I probably haven't looked closely at him for several days. Today doing a water change I see he has a large injury/fungus on one side and he seems quite bloated. Sorry for the blurry photo - I can try to get a better one later if that helps.

Would you attempt to treat this other than with water changes? If so, with what? I can set up a smaller tank for him but that would be pretty stressful. I'm in Australia - our access to aquarium medications is relatively limited compared to the UK/US, and I don't have any medication to hand at the moment, as haven't used it for years.

Any suggestions?
Plant Water Terrestrial plant Fish Grass

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
I would take the betta out to its own container. I would treat with antibiotics if you can find it but if not try a tablespoon of salt per 10 gallons of water and hope for the best. Change out the water every few days. Oh, if you can get your hands on dried Indian Almond leaves, throw them in the tank too. Supposedly, they have antifungal properties.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts