Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This tank at one time was an African cichlid planted tanks as well. I got tired of digging and them ripping up plants! About 8 months or so ago I sold them off to a LFS and setup this tank. Its gone through many scapes. A 55 is a challenge to aquascape for me. I was gone for a week or so during the holidays and when I returned the tank was a bit of a jungle. I seem to like it best when its a little over grown. In the photo its in need of a trim. So its my jungle/collector tank for now. Let me know what you think. I have been shooting lots of photos with my new Canon XTi. Im getting better but still a long way off of some of the work I have seen here. Let me know what I can do to improve the photo as well. Im having trouble bringing out the detail and overexposure on some of the plants while other areas are way to dark.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Looks like a great tank in the making although I'd like to point out that the plants in the back form a sort of "fence" that seems to lack cohesion. It would be best to let the plants grow out more and form layers that overlap each other. Great selection of plants. :)

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
maybe it's the lighting of the picture, but I somewhat agree w/lildark185. I find my eyes moving back and forth from left to right, while searching for something in the dark section under the power head.

Maybe more of a specific focal point would improve the tank.

·
Registered
42 Posts
nice tank :D i know you from PT how much lighting do you have on there ?

·
Registered
360 Posts
Nice looking tank Jeff! Spotless plants as usual. ;-)

As far as shooting, I think you probably need to add more light over the tank when your photographing. Do you have an extra strip light that you could temporarily put over, just for the shot?

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice looking tank Jeff! Spotless plants as usual. ;-)

As far as shooting, I think you probably need to add more light over the tank when your photographing. Do you have an extra strip light that you could temporarily put over, just for the shot?
Thanks! I thought about adding another light, but it dosent seem logical, it will make the overexposed areas even more over exposed and the dark areas just a little lighter. Dont know Ill have to try it out

·
Registered
360 Posts
Thanks! I thought about adding another light, but it dosent seem logical, it will make the overexposed areas even more over exposed and the dark areas just a little lighter. Dont know Ill have to try it out
I'm certainly not the expert in this area, but if you got your tripod, you could take one picture with your current setup, then another with the extra light on to get the right light levels on the shaded areas, and then merge the two in Photoshop.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I love it. I'm also really interested in the names of your plants, particularly the grassy one in the back, middle...and the shorter growing ones in the middle and front of the tank. Great job. It certainly beats mine, lol....I am so jelous!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Very nice tank! Good Job!
Question outside of the topic. What lense did you use on your camera to take a picture of Pleco eggs.

Thanks.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts