Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading about someone who was having trouble growing moss and how he used a biowheel from an emperor filter to get rid of it. DO bio wheels actually take away co2???:confused:? or is this just a myth?:confused: i use nutrafins co2 system. Please respond quick, b/c the first one to say its true, im going to put away the bio wheels.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Any thing that causes a water fall effect will dissipate co2. Some have a very efficient co2 system and just deal with the problem by compensating for co2 loss by adding more. The system you have is not the most efficient system so I would remove the bio wheel to get the most from all available co2.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Bio wheels also expose the water to the air on the wheel itself which loses C02. Someone had a thread here showing how they installed a piece of floss to cut down on the splasing effect of a HOB filter that probably helps. If you keep your water level quite high then the splashing is reduced, but the wheel still exposes the water to the air. Great for good bacteria growing, bad for CO2.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'm still able to keep a drop checker in the green/yellow with a biowheel on my 20g shrimp tank, and this is with DIY CO2.

I'm not growing high-light plants, it's 1.5 w/gal so I've got some wiggle room (and about 200 cherry shrimp to eat algae faster than it can grow, heh.)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts