Aquatic Plant Forum banner

Biological Filter Media

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Forest 
#1 ·
Hi all, has been a couple of years since I posted. I am setting up my aquarium again as I now have the space and time for it. When I took my system apart I put my canister filter in the shed and didn't empty the water from it, silly I know. Would the biological media be ruined or can I rejuvinate it by soaking in a bleech and water mix or maybe wash very well. I don't know if this water has become toxic and absorbed any poisons from being stored like this for so long. Any advice would be appreciated.

Discussion starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. I am going to use salt to clean the biological media and then soak for a few days. Will test water to see what has leached in to it.

Discussion starter · #6 ·
I have now bought new media and will leave the old media soaking in RO water for a while and then test that water to see whats in it. I hate throwing things away.
Thanks for all the replies. This is a friendly forum that I hope I can contribute to soon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.