Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
2,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You can find these same critters and plants,ahem, weeds, ober most of the South east gulf region.

Mic is often found in fairly rich soil ponds, pools, lakes even, although I have found it doing well in shallow streams with fairly clean sand.

Smart weed is all over, nasty stuff. There's only one semi nice looking, and even them I do not care for it in the genus.

Nasty road side ditches are very good places for most common weeds.
The natural systems are much harder to find the rare plants that we really like:) Often they come and go in locations.

Sailfins are better than mosquito fish!

All my spots are closed off till spring but I'm going to try and catch some fish next weekend. I have some word on Flagfish locations, so we shall see.

More darters and blue fin shiners! I bred some of these a month ago it seems. I have a couple of other fish I'm not quite sure what they are yet. They are breeding as well.

I only have one non biotope tank.
Is it a biotope if the plant is colected in the location even if the plant is an exotic? Say like Hygrophila polysperma here in FL or Hyacinth? Water lettuce?

Some of the lines cross over, we have at least 2 species of Crypts here in FL growing the wild, but they are not natives.

What is introduced and what is native? Water lettuce is very debateable and one of the favorites for arguing that issue.
There are large pleco's roaming around also.

Regards,
Tom Barr

·
Banned
2,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well that __really__ opens up a FL biotope tank.
There are many plants here, at least 5 or more I've never once seen in any tank design.

I have some lobed moss, no one's had in any tank I know of.
It's very fine, dark green etc.

It's fun to fool judges but if they judge biotopes, they need to do their homework:)
They also need to know the rules with exotics.

There are few plants that would not grow well in FL, example, crypts in both TX and FL and have been there for many years.

Fish too.

I have a very biotope, a 4 gal open top non CO2 tank with H polysperma, the lobed moss, pearl grass, hairgrass, Utricularia stellaris, Ludwigia repens.

It's rocks and tree are also native FL.

I think the rocks and driftwood shaopuld also be collected or comes from the local region.

What is a local biotope range/region? 100 miles sq? The same ecosystem? Where are those lines drawn?

Regards,
Tom Barr

·
Banned
2,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I am thinking about Rodman resevior, is it a lake or a river? Is the backwater and rich mulmy soil the same as the rapid flowing hardbottom regions? Depth of the water? Some plants do greatv near the surface, others are found much deeper.

Where that habitat cut off is is difficult.

I alway get a hoot out folks wanting to create a Rio Negrio biotope with plants No plant is going to live there except trees, dislodged floating grass mats etc during the wet season. Water is simply way too deep during that time of year.

So time of year is also something to consider.

I find it hard to argue these divisions.
I guess you just have to make a line and stick with it.

Regards,
Tom Barr

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.