Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So tonight I had a bittersweet evening with my tank. I did a huge water change and near the end of it I noticed that there were these tiny mosquito larvae in my tank. I freaked out and wondered where all of these could have come from. Then I noticed my largest female amano giving birth to thousands of baby amanos. It was incridible to see so many of them being released into the water. It was a small cloud of larvae streaking back and forth. Then I thought, "I wish I had a little saltwater set up so I could try to raise these guys." Alas it's always exciting to see things being born in your tank, except platies of course, LOL, but then I thought about how there all gonna die even if they didn't get eaten. Oh well sorry for the downer but I thought som of you would understand.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Indeed bittersweet and it maks one sad.... There are folks that have had some success with setting up a SW tank for the young. May be fun to try.

Cheers, Bill

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am so angry at myself that I didn't think of this before. I live on Biscayne Bay so I have saltwater at my dorr step. Do you think that if I ever find the young again and use a 2.5 gallon that I have by just adding water from the bay. Might as well give it a try huh?

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I think that there might be food that they can eat already in there since it is natural water. I don't know?!!

·
Premium Member
5,448 Posts
It's worth a shot trying what you suggest. Perhaps doing very frequent water changes with Bay water to introduce food sources? It'd be a great experiment.

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
If she did it once, she will do it again...get a small saltwater setup started now so you will be ready for the next time she releases larvae. While you are at it, get a saltwater "Greenwater" culture going to feed the larvae.

When I notice a pregnant Amano, I move her to a 2.5g tank. Once she releases the larvae, you can either raise the salinity in the 2.5g tank or remove the larvae to a saltwater setup.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Is the water in the bay safe? I live in San Diego and unfortunately our bay water is loaded with chemicals.

Other then that, find comfort in knowing next time you'll be better prepared!

Good luck and take pictures!

·
Premium Member
734 Posts
Please keep us updated on this in the future. I am also very curious to learn about this process.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts