Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the back of the tank is going to be black. I mean, it could be red or green or navy or whatever you want...but do you think, painting the back, or covering it in felt is better?

·
Registered
134 Posts
im always hesitant to paint my tank. if it turns out bad, you cant change it. and if you get sick of the color, you have to deal with it whereas if you used posterboard or felt, you can change it whenever you like

·
Registered
930 Posts
I painted the back of my 10 gallon tank and regretted it. For my 29 gallon tank I taped black fabric onto some thin plexi sheets, for I found them, and taped them onto the tank. Taping the fabric didn't work so they have to be taped onto something.

Some use poster board.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I use matte board against the wall about 4" out from the back of the tank. Then I backlight it which helps create a better sense of depth and a nice diffuse, sky-like glow. And, as has been noted, you can easily change it if you want a different color.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Hey Travis, that sounds like a cool idea. Do you have a pic of it?
penny
PS I use black matte board, would not paint the tank.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Here's a pic of the back-lit matte board I took before I planted most of the tank. The white is a little blown-out and is actually a lot softer to the eye.

·
Registered
100 Posts
On my tanks I use black 3m automotive vinyl you can get from a sign shop. it is a beter option then paint as it is eaiser to remove shold you need to do so.

Curt

·
Registered
406 Posts
One of the first things I do when I get a new glass tank is paint the back with black paint, Paint zips of with a razor quite quickly. There is a bit of mess getting it all off but a few minutes usually does it. Normally the tank is empty when I paint it or take the paint off.

I have never tried mat board but it should work as long as the wetting (that is sure to happen) does not bother you. Plastic sheeting will probably be better but mat board is inexpensive and readily available.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Black 3m automotive vinyl is more expensive than fabric. Fabric 3yd is $1.5

Travis where do you put the light for the blackboard?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts