Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I set up this 10 gallon walstad tank on April 16th with half cow dung compost and half clayey garden soil. All the plants are growing well except my rotalas (green and h'ra) which are also growing but very slowly and with black spots developing and catching up to the newer leaves.
In the beginning they were quite quick to adapt and grow but a week after the aquarium was set up I noticed these black spots and the problem has gotten worse with growth almost stalling nowadays. The rotala wallichi is absolutely exploding in growth though and is completely fine. It's the fastest grower.
The Java fern also has some browning leaves.

Total plant list: Helanthium tenellum, Rotala h'ra, Rotala green, rotala wallichi, alternanthera reineckii, ludwigia repens, ludwigia palustris, Java fern, jygrophila polysperma regular and rosanervig, crypt wendtii, spiralis and pontederiifolia,pogostemon stellatus octopus and bacopa monnieri.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,068 Posts
I often see black spots on Java Fern but not on stem plants. Your soil is freshly submerged and sounds very nutrient-rich. It is leaching excess nutrients (heavy metals?) into the water. Also, you've got water cloudiness, probably green-water algae. In this situation, I would change the water every few days or so until the problem abates, probably 2-3 weeks.
Nice plant mix.
Picture of tank would help.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I often see black spots on Java Fern but not on stem plants. Your soil is freshly submerged and sounds very nutrient-rich. It is leaching excess nutrients (heavy metals?) into the water. Also, you've got water cloudiness, probably green-water algae. In this situation, I would change the water every few days or so until the problem abates, probably 2-3 weeks.
Nice plant mix.
Picture of tank would help.
Thanks a lot for the metal toxicity tip. Someone told me that it was potassium deficiency but the fact that this is a new tank with nutrient rich soil and daily fishfood additions didn't quite add up to me with any deficiency.
After a 50% water change I added a jackfruit leaf and some tannins into the water in an attempt to increase the DOOC as I read in your book (many thanks for writing that I'm trying not to fanboy because the legend herself has noticed my thread !!!!) and I fed twice instead of once a day. The stocking is 3 female guppies, one female betta and 10-15 ramshorn snails. Please do give me extra tips :D
Picture of tank is after water change and before the addition of tannins. Yes, I've got a green water algae problem as well but it's not a big eyesore.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,068 Posts
Thanks a lot for the metal toxicity tip. Someone told me that it was potassium deficiency but the fact that this is a new tank with nutrient rich soil and daily fishfood additions didn't quite add up to me with any deficiency.
After a 50% water change I added a jackfruit leaf and some tannins into the water in an attempt to increase the DOOC as I read in your book (many thanks for writing that I'm trying not to fanboy because the legend herself has noticed my thread !!!!) and I fed twice instead of once a day. The stocking is 3 female guppies, one female betta and 10-15 ramshorn snails. Please do give me extra tips :D
Picture of tank is after water change and before the addition of tannins. Yes, I've got a green water algae problem as well but it's not a big eyesore.
Very pretty tank--certainly not an eyesore! Expect a black spot here and there.
Keep us posted on your progress.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts