Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do I get rid of it?

It started in my tennelus, and is now on my anubias..

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, I can't really monitor the nutrient levels..

I just add 1/2 a capful of Flourish every other day.

The CO2, I just go by the drop checker, which I'm not sure what that solution is calibrated for, ppm-wise.. It's showing green, in any case..

I stopped with the excel when I went to pressurized C02, but I'll get some more of it, and do more water volume per water change.

I've been doing about 20% (15g of a 75g) a week.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You need to address the macro nutrients first if you're running CO2 with higher light levels.
How would you recommend I do that?

I've been playing around with a drop checker and had to run it far, far into the yellow to get my tank "happy".
Hmm.. What about the fish, though? How can you be sure those levels aren't hard on them?

I run an airstone for 5 hours at night, but during the day..

Would I start adding the nitrogen, etc. before upping the CO2?

Also, I have it set-up so that the C02 turns on or off depending on the pH. The CO2 is on till it gets to a pH of 6.8, then shuts off.

So if it get's to set point, even if the level is still "green" there's no way to get more C02 pumped in..
Don't know how I could get around that..

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here's the details:

75g Perfecto Aquarium with stand

Tank is exposed to indirect, diffused light from a N facing window.

Filter: Eheim 2217 x 2

I have both Boyd's Chemi-pure Excel and peat in with my filter media (ceramic rings, EHFIMECH and EHFISUBSTRAT, coarse and polisher sponge).

Light: Current USA Nova Extreme 48" 2x54W x 2 = 220W, or 3.9wpg.

T-5 10,000 K (1 SlimPaq 10,000°K bulb and 1 SlimPaq Freshwater bulb)

http://www.bigalsonline.ca/StoreCat...rent+USA+Nova+Extreme+48"&queryType=0&offset=

The light is on 10h a day.

Air pump: Tetra Whisper 100 Air Pump) with airstone.

C02 set-up: 20lbs cylinder, regulator, solenoid, needle valve, diffuser, Pinpoint pH controller (on a timer, set to turn off and on with the lights).

I add demineralised water mixed with tap water (pH 7.8) to get roughly 6.8 for a pH, and I change out about 20% or approx. 15g a WC (once a week, abouts).

The GH is about 10.

I add 1/2 a capful of Flourish a day, and a capful of Flourish Iron every once in a while (once every 3-4 days).

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I don't go by bps..

I have the controller which shuts the CO2 off when it gets to the set point pH.

I just dropped the set point to 6.5, and the drop checker was still solidly in the green.. :(

I turned on the air stone for a bit till it got back up to 6.7, which I set the set point at for now (don't want to have too drastic a pH swing).

I'll check out the EI dosing, but aren't I in this mess because there is too much nutrients in the water already??

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, I'll step it up then, thanks!

Oh, dunno if it applies, but I have Eco-complete as a substrate, with pure powdered laterite forming the layer underneath that..

Plants I'm growing: tennelus, cabomba, A. reineckii, Riccia fluitans, A. var nana.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
just wanted to throw a ballpark figure
What I should have said is i CAN'T go by bps..

I run it only during the day, and then only until the pH reaches setpoint, which it does in about an hour or so..

I should probably cut the bps down with the needle valve, so it stays on longer, or does it matter how fast or slow you get to a certain ppm?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It's beneficial to get to the desired concentration of CO2 quickly so that you're covered for the entire photoperiod. It's also a good idea to set your bubble rate such that the CO2 controller doesn't cycle on and off too frequently. One an hour is probably more than enough. A high CO2 rate will result in drastic back-and-forth pH swings that will wear out the solenoid faster
One what?

The bubble count know is more like 2 bubbles a second..

I'll set the needle valve to it's slower..

KH I'd have to test again, but GH is around 10..

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
He means one on/off cycle per hour.
Ahh..

So what should I do while I'm waiting for the ferts?

Manual removal would be pointless, no?

Keep doing weekly water changes?

Less light?

Thoughts?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
It can't really take that long for the ferts to get to you, can it?
Depends.. WAS going to get it from Green Leaf Aquariums, but they won't ship ferts to Canada.

The owner knows a guy in BC that may be able to help me, though..

So hopefully I'll get them soon..

Absolutely. The more that is there, the faster it can and will spread.
Ok, I'll start trimming, and go to one light for now..

I don't know about "not many plants", though:

What about the slow growing Anubias? Won't I damage it by removing too many leaves?

Can I cut the tips off the tennelus without killing it?

I would drop it even further
Why's that?

Do you know the set points on the PinPoint controller.
There is a .4-.6 pH variance (6.6 to 7.0-7.2) between the time the CO2 shuts off at night, and the air stone turns off in the early morning.

But as far as the set point on the controller goes, LOW is set at 6.5, HIGH is set at 6.7.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Hmm..

My API GH test seemed to work, turned colour after 11 drops..

But my KH test went yellow right away..

So either I have a KH of zero, or my kit is buggered..

Will have to get another one..

So what should I do with the tennelus?

I cut away the tips of some infested leaves a few weeks ago, and now those leaves are yellowish red instead of green.. :(

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Ok, I have my ferts, and am dosing as follows:

60 – 80 Gallon Aquariums

¾ tsp KN03
¼ tsp KH2P04 Mon, Wed, Fri
¼ tsp K2SO4

¼ tsp (20ml) Trace Elements Tues, Thurs, Saturday

Sunday 50% weekly water change

Let me know what you think..

I also brought down the set point on my controller to 6.4, and I've installed another diffuser on the opposite side of the tank..

Seeing pearling finally on the riccia, so I must be heading in the right direction, CO2-wise..

Did a bid weeding of the tennelus.. Got rid of alot of affected leaves that way.

Going to get a pair of SAE as well.

Will look at removing more leaves from the A. reinekii and A. barteri tomorrow.

Thanks for all the feedback!!!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
As soon as my Excel shows up I'll start spot treating the anubias, and after another WC I'll bring the pH down another notch, and get my drop checker set-up right.

Hopefully they have some true SAE at the lfs in PG..

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
SAE's might help but they're overrated
In what way?

I'd prefer not to get them, as they get too big, and don't go after the algae that much when they do, but if it will help keep the algae in check, with the addition of all the other steps I'm taking, then...

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Hmmm..

One way to find out, I guess.. LOL

Hope they like staghorn and GTA.. :)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 · (Edited)
it may be just as easy to remove the Anubias and OD it outside of the tank
Hmm.. There's an idea!

How much should I dilute the Excel? Or should I just use full strength?

How long do I leave it in the solution?

Will I need to treat it more than once?

I'll rethink the SAE, I guess..

I already have 2 yo-yos that I didn't really want (but have since come to love) in my SA fish tank to take care of my snail population (hitchhiked on some plants, I guess).. LOL

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Just an update..

Been doing weekly 50% WCs, and dosing as per EI.

The Excel bath I gave my anubias.. I must have used too strong a mix, or left them in too long, or both. I have had to trim off alot of dead leaves, and it will be a long time coming back, but I hope they WILL recover eventually..

The Staghorn isn't as bad a s it was, but it is still present..

I got 2 SAE, but they haven't been eating much algae at all, from what I can see.. They are both about 1" in length, and I have been careful to keep them away from fish food as much as possible..

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Well, some people don't appreciate it when you use their thread to forward a totally unrelated question..

It's even got a name: thread crapping..

Just FYI..

1 - 20 of 29 Posts