Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Administrator
7,420 Posts
Hmm.. What about the fish, though? How can you be sure those levels aren't hard on them?
Drop checkers can easily be set to be green at whatever co2 level you desire. Adjusting the KH of the the water inside them is how. I usually run my tanks at about 40ppm and have had healthy fish and thriving shrimp populations.

I run an airstone for 5 hours at night, but during the day..
Off.

Would I start adding the nitrogen, etc. before upping the CO2?
Why not do both simultaneously?

Also, I have it set-up so that the C02 turns on or off depending on the pH. The CO2 is on till it gets to a pH of 6.8, then shuts off.

So if it get's to set point, even if the level is still "green" there's no way to get more C02 pumped in..
Don't know how I could get around that..
Don't use the controller. Bring the pH down a bit. Either way will work.

We've only gotten a smattering of details regarding your setup. How much lighting? How long is the photoperiod? Details, details, details! The more, the better. We need the whole picture to really help you.

·
Administrator
7,420 Posts
I'll check out the EI dosing, but aren't I in this mess because there is too much nutrients in the water already??
Quite the opposite. You are getting these problems because your macros are much, much too low. Remember, you're not running a reef here. Your micro nutrients are low as well. Half a cap full of Flourish? That's what, 2.5mls? You really need something in the neighborhood of 10-20mls per day of both Flourish and Flourish Iron; much of that depends on what kinds of plants you're growing. Throwing in tiny amounts every couple days isn't going to cut it.

·
Administrator
7,420 Posts
Is there any more staghorn showing up? Or is is just residual? I suspect that you are still a bit low on the macros. Your Alternanthera says as much.

Please feed your SAEs. They probably won't eat staghorn and should not be relied upon to do so.

·
Administrator
7,420 Posts
That really doesn't sound like much in the way of micros. More would be good. Try 50% more of that as well. It will become more important as you get your macros in line.

·
Administrator
7,420 Posts
I still have that kit around somewhere. Didn't find much value in it. A dropchecker would be better.

Do have reason to suspect you don't have enough?

·
Administrator
7,420 Posts
I disagree with that. I thought it was a waste of money.

The drop checker will show green wherever you set it to be green. I believe someone mentioned it earlier in this thread.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts