Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Banned
2,072 Posts
Just clean out good and make sure you have the plants cleaned well.
Not sure what you did for the set up but algae blooms do not happen typically for a week or so even if the tank is loused up when setting up a new one.

Something else is happening we do not know about here.
Silicates are not going to cause BGA, diatoms are the only group that will use Si. The BGA came in on your plants.

You say all your tank have issues with it, well the KNO3 will help and good CO2 etc.

I think you already an existing problem on the plants, and you brought it over to a brand new tank.

Add mulm/peat to a new substrate and this will help reduce issues.
But your other tanks also have issues. So blaming it on this tank is not fair if you are adding plants from one tank to the other.

Take care of all the tanks, don't expect the new one to be any different.
I don't have any visible BGA. It's there, and most folks have it in their tanks right now.
It's just not growing.

It does not like being disturbed or water changes.
But it will grow back fast, so kill and remove what is there first.

Regards,
Tom Barr

· Banned
2,072 Posts
No tank is ever identical unless you really really try very hard.

I do not think RO is going to solve anything for you.
You've had BGA issues for 3 years now.
It's something other than the tap water.

Try cleaning the tank and filters good, keeping the nutrients in a good range dose KNO3 etc, doing regular 50% weekly water changes etc.

You need to work on the nutrients and keeping the CO2 up in a good range. Plants do well=> the algae will not.
This is true for all algae.

Regards,
Tom Barr

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.