Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been receiving many questions regarding the color of our Phosphates.

Apparently there is a substitution going around that is coming in a blue powder form.

Green Leaf Aquariums DOES NOT SELL BLUE phosphates. We keep the real deal in stock at all times.
So...There is no need to worry when it comes to the quality of our ferts.

Best Regards, Orlando

P.S

Does anybody have a picture of this blue stuff?

·
Super Moderator
7,436 Posts
I was told by someone, but I don't recall who, that there is a worldwide shortage of phosphates, and that made the undyed material be unavailable, so "everyone" was selling blue dyed phosphate.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I guess I will have to talk to the nursery folks and see if they could shed a little more light on this.
There is a world wide shortage. In Fact, there is no current producer in the world manufacturing it.
The price has tripled for the good stuff, so they have introduced a substitute with a slightly different chemical make up I would imagine.

Regards, O

P.S
We currantly have 1000 pounds of phosphates in pure white(KH2PO4/0-52-34). And our supplier has tons of it still availbale.
So I dont see us running out anytime soon.

·
Super Moderator
7,436 Posts
Orlando, you certainly have enough KH2PO4 to fill my needs for a few years. I need to order some in the next few weeks, since I only have about half a cupful left. Hmmm, divide 1000 pounds, times 16 ounces per pound by 1/2 times ........well, yes I think you have enough for me.

·
Registered
44 Posts
The blue stuff looks like a lighter shade of dry Miracle-gro. The color doesnt stain or even change the color of the aquarium water, since its dosed in such low quantities. I've been using the blue stuff for over 6months and havent noticed any drawback from using it, plus the stuff is still reasonably priced.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Pls educate us: why is the blue stuff a problem? What's the real difference between the two? How does this difference affect aquarium plants?

·
Registered
254 Posts
Supposedly a world wide shortage on MKP, the supplier was able to
find this MKP which was/is intended to be used as a foliar spray, they
simply add blue food coloring which is harmless to fish and plants
and is only visible in high concentrations.
this is the memo I received.

Regards

·
Registered
635 Posts
I don't think anybody said it was a problem.
Id like to know exactly what it is myself.
You called it "the good stuff" up above which certainly implied the blue stuff was otherwise.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have been using the blue stuff, too. The site I got it from said the same as above, that there was a shortage and the blue is a marker or ID for spraying applications and it is harmless.

One good thing: I keep a little nano tank at work, and I brought a little tiny ziplock of a dry macro mix and put in my desk drawer. We were burglarized last weekend, and the police opened all the drawers and dusted for fingerprints. The slight blue tinge saved me a LOT of explaining.

·
Registered
635 Posts
.....We were burglarized last weekend, and the police opened all the drawers and dusted for fingerprints. The slight blue tinge saved me a LOT of explaining.
:rofl:

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
I believe it is no different, just blue. When I worked at Greenleaf Nurseries (not to be confused with Greenleaf Aquatics....this was a wholesale container nursery, landscape plants, nothing aquatic ;) ) we used blue-colored ferts that we dissolved in large holding tanks and injected into the irrigation water.

Not sure why it was blue, though. Perhaps so you can see that the water is non-potable when you mix a jug of it up? Anyone work for MiracleGro (or have connections) that can tell us why they color the ferts blue?

·
Registered
635 Posts
Got it now, thanks all.

Blue Phosphate= 11-37-0

White Phosphate= 0-52-34

Regards, Orlando
Something does not add up here. How can this be? Are not these numbers standing for N-P-K, or Nitrogen-Phosphate-Potassium? And if so how can any blue be called MonoPotassiumPhosphate if it 11-37-0 and by ZERO as the last number thus contains no Potassium???

Your "Blue Phosphate= 3-18-18" that you first posted before editing (I guess, that's what came to me in the subscribed email to this forum posting) would make more sense but then I start to wonder how the dosing would be different if the ratios of nutrients are different, yet many people, myself included, do EI dosing using either Blue or White and notice no differences or need to dose differently.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts