Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered some monopotassium phosphate from an online store and it arrived blue. There was a note in the box that said it is just a colorant and sometihng about supply problems in getting the non-colored stuff.

Has anyone used the blue stuff? I don't want my silicone turning colors and there are lots of blue colored things in the chemical world...

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll take a pic later. It is light blue with maybe the occasional brown fleck in it. I ordered it from a retailer recommended frequently on this site.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I too am curious about any long-term side effects of using the smurf phosphate.
I received the same stuff from aquariumfertilizer.com when I first started using EI, about 2 months ago. The note was in with my batch also, something about a shortage of KH2PO4?
I haven't noticed any obvious staining yet in my 5.5 gallon, my only tank with visible silicone.
I made up a solution of KNO3 and KH2PO4, (1.5 tsp KH2PO4 in 450 ml water) which you can see next to the jar of the dry KH2PO4.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
There is a world wide shortage of Phosphate. The worst part is, nobody is currently manufacturing it at this time.
Phosphate has doubled in price in the last 3 months. I can only imagine what the long term affect of this shortage will have in the agriculture business. :(

The blue stuff looks cool. :)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Awesome, thanks guys. Sometimes I am just a little paranoid (OCD). Not that it's rare in aquarists :)

Also, magnesium sulfate burns when you get it into a cut.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts