Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Monday I finally decided to buy some Blue Rams I've been lookin at for the past few month. Today! Only 2 days after bringing them home they're breeding. I bought 1 male and 2 females like others have suggested. When I got home from work today I noticed that they had paired and were chasing the other female around. Sure enough, the left corner had their eggs on a rock.

Later today I noticed that the other female is quite plump and she's trying to attract the male to the right corner where she's burrowing a hole in the gravel. The male is tempted but never does anything. It's almost as if he knows better.

This is all fun to watch until the other female shows up. They started to fight. The male was in the middle goin hey be easy on the girl. lol I used my net to separate the females. I really need to get another tank. I didn't know this was going to happen so suddenly.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just get a fry keeper that hangs on the side of the tank and put the extra female in it. You might want to take her back if the shop will take her back. The paired female might chase her to death unless the tank is big enough for her to get away. I've got a pair that spawns all the time in a 10 gallon with rainbow fry and guppys in it. They rarely chase the rest of the fish. Mine like to spawn in the corner too, on a smooth rock the size of a 50 cent piece. How soft is your water? If it isn't fairly soft the eggs won't hatch. My water is too hard but I'm thinking about using rainwater and taking the rest of the fish out to raise some fry. Mine spawned a week after I got them and they were SMALL! You could barely tell the sexes. I got them at an auction.

Good luck !

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The water isn't very soft so I probably won't see them hatch either. I thought it would be cool if they did but wasn't expecting it so soon as I am not prepared for it. It's a 37 gallon so she can hide on the other side of the tank but she still likes to explore to the other side. The pair leave the ottos alone and most of the cherry shrimp keep their distance. I'm still getting another tank which I'll probably set up for the fry and use Ro water.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ted,

Since the eggs don't hatch do the parents end up eating them? I was wondering if I should have them removed so they try again. This time with softer water.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Something will eat them, usually they fungus a few at a time over a few days until they are all gone or my big snails move in at night and eat them. I'm working on clearing the tank out so I can raise some fry. I'd just leave them in there and let nature take it's course. Removing them all at one time might cause the adults to fight. Still not sure if I want to raise ram fry or some of the other stuff I'm working on since I'm short on space. Just lower your PH slowly over a couple of weeks, rainwater, reverse osmosis, peat, however, and when they spawn in a few weeks they should be good. Young breeders take a few trial runs to get it right anyway. Mine spawn every few weeks no matter what.

Ted

·
Registered
17 Posts
is it podssible that this fish will breed with a convict because mine are trying to(sounds stupid to ask but idk)

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
females have blue specks in the black patch and a pink belly.
males have an extended ray in the dorsal fin.

I don't think they can breed with a convict.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts