Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heres the scoop. 4 gallon tank with an adult female swordtail, a 37 day old swordtail (female?) and an 11 day old swordtail (unknown sex). There is also an apple snail (? looks like the pictures i've seen i'm about 95% sure).

about 2 weeks ago there was an adult and young snail in the tank. for several days (about 5 or 6) the snail has been unusually sluggish (typically actively crawling around the tank all day) then i noticed there were some blue egg things (about 1 mm in size it seems) in this clear slime on driftwood. a day later the adult snail died. I figured...end of his life eggs were the things that did it for him/her. the eggs didnt look like photos i saw online but i've never seen them in person so i simply just figured this is what they are...

about 1 week later...i found more of these mystery eggs but only the baby (about 3 week old) snail is left in the tank besides the life listed above...here are pictures any ideas?

here is a photo of the adult snail from a few weeks ago

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
I'm not able to view the pics since I'm on my work computer :( , but it sounds like snail eggs. Even young snails can reproduce/lay eggs.

Now I'm anxious to get home this evenging so I can see you pics! :D

-Dave

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
These eggs are not the eggs of the snails you pictured. The briggs snails lay eggs over the water level and in a hard shell clutch. They may be eggs from another snail.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Probably ramshorn or pond. It also makes me think you have a snail sorceror as its casting moon shaped marks everywhere.

I think it says you need moonlight.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmm I wonder where this snail could have come from because I've only had these yellow ones in the tank and small ones started popping up i just figured they were from the ones in there...I'll try to post a picture of it soon

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
I agree with common pond snail eggs. They can come from anything you've put in your tank. If one egg survived on a plant, piece of wood, gravel. etc.... that's all it takes.

I wouldn't worry too much. I've got pond snails, ramshorn, teeny little trumpets, and I don't see much damage to the plants...some...but not much.

-Dave

·
Registered
816 Posts
Pond snails and rams just sort of materialise. I think they teleport into small bodies of water. I've been busy adding trumpets to my aquarium but those are good snails. Except when they uproot my freshly planted glosso.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts