Aquatic Plant Forum banner

Blyxa alternifolia - new to me!

10K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  Tex Gal 
#1 ·
Just thought I'd share a px of a new blyxa. It's new to me. I think it's gonna be really neat. I don't know how it grows yet. I just have a few small stems (thanks jojo!!).

See less See more
#2 ·
This was featured by someone who received TOTM about one year ago, Drinda! This is a super rare specimen; keep it in bright light with plenty of iron and phosphorus. I would urge you to move it to your main tank, as it will need the nutrient load in the water column to stay in tip-top condition. It doesn't need to be directly in the flow of your CO2, but it should be close and left in an open spot, though that is probably becoming difficult with your tank! :D

Nice job! It should grow pretty tall (like aubertii), so place it in the mid-ground to back ground. Certainly a very nice specimen plant!

Great job in getting it, TexGal, and thank you for sharing!

#4 ·
And as I see you have the "red" form. From what I see on Google there is a green form. It also looks like the water must be soft.

How does that thing look when fully grown? Like a stem plant or like B. japonica?

--Nikolay

#5 · (Edited)
Don- you would be proud of me. I have pulled several plants out of my 125. I can actually see the substrate. I'm in the process of a re-arrange. Got new DW to make my trees look better. Soaking phase.

Niko- I understand that it's a stem plant. That's all I know. We'll see what happens as it grow out. So exciting. Perhaps I should put a few stems in my big tank too, in case it decides it doesn't like one of the tanks.

Just to give you an idea of the size. The grass sprigs you see in front of it are UG. It's very little right now.

#6 ·
Hey Tex Gal,
I hope you get that baby growing well so I can pick up a piece when I visit your house in several weeks.

I dont know that there are distinct red or green forms of Blyxa, I've seen specimens go back and forth between red and green depending on the environment.

#7 ·
I am curious to know if this is may be how bylxa aubertii will get pretty red-tinged under high light with high doses of iron and phosphorus. Is this blyxa green under "normal" conditions? Do you have to stress it in order to keep the red coloration.

TexGal--if you sell enough plants, you will see the bottom! :D You must have several grand from your latest sale alone! HA!

#10 ·
I hope it grows for me. So far it's holding it's own. No leaf loss. No melting. I guess we'll see.

BTW Don- I sold everything at $1 per stem. By the time I bought new tape, ink for the printer,zip lock bags, sharpies, paper shreds, I think I may have lost money! :rolleyes: At least I didn't have to throw them out. I had my daughter and hubby helping me for 2-3 hours boxing, weighing, taping, pasting.

#9 ·
About the red and green form...

Uwants can't lie. If Uwants says there is a red and there is a green form than that's it, case closed. All the HelloKitties and Schnauzer doggies can't be wrong!

Here's Uwants in all is splendor; Scroll down to posts #9 and #10 on the following page. And look carefully - don't miss the animation of a planted tank mixed with Kitties and Schnauzers. See if you notice the "Bear-Bee":

http://www6.uwants.com/viewthread.php?tid=5213282&extra=page=2

haha

--Nikolay

#17 ·
This plant is a WEED! It will shoot up to the surface when conditions are to its liking. It took a few weeks before it settled in and started growing for me.
Just make sure you keep it in soft water with lots of iron and CO2. That seemed to be the most important thing with mine. If I didn't dose iron regularly the leaves around the tip would melt. It also nearly died when I tried growing it in hard water. Without CO2 it doesn't really grow but just survive. It liked did well it a tank with erios and toninas not that it necessarily needs those conditions.
Good luck and spread that stuff around!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.