Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked this up a few weeks ago labeled as Blyxa sp. Spiral. The flowers are very similar to the flowers I have on my B. japonica and aubertii. I will try to get a picture of the flower, one is coming soon. Any ideas what species it might be?

You can see the. B japonica for comparison. It is quite tall with quite extensive root system.

·
Registered
5,314 Posts
Hi TooManyHobbies,

Doesn't look like a Blyxa to me. It looks more like a Vallisneria, possibly Vallisneria spiralis.

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
Definitely Vallisneria. In fact, the picture might be useful for the PlantFinder entries we are trying to produce for Vallisneria species. Let Cavan Allen take a look at it.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@2ManyHobbies: Does it make runners?
Nope- It has been in the tank for over a month and no runners yet. My other vals send out runners within days of planting.

I really need to find that flower stalk tonight. I saw it what I moved them last night. Might be another day or so before it blooms.

I have never had a val bloom for me. Blyxa species all the time.

My japonica propogates like rabbits so I am expecting to see this one split soon. Then again my aubertii took about 2-3 months to split. These leaves are also very smooth, much softer than the spiralis I have had in the past. I will look at the leaf edges tonight to see if they are serrated.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I have two of the same and labeled as such too.

Propigates via a shoot that forms from the middle of the plant best I can tell. Definately haven't seen any type of runners. Haven't noticed if they've sent up any flower stalks or not though. I'll have to get a better look.

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
that is a Vallisneria flower, and it is about as open as it gets. The part behind the flower is the ovary, and it is filled with ovules waiting to be fertilized. I have had extensive experience with Vallisneria that includes getting the female flowers fertilized by the floating male flowers and later collecting the seeds and growing them in sterile culture.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
that is a Vallisneria flower, and it is about as open as it gets. The part behind the flower is the ovary, and it is filled with ovules waiting to be fertilized. I have had extensive experience with Vallisneria that includes getting the female flowers fertilized by the floating male flowers and later collecting the seeds and growing them in sterile culture.
I'm not sure. IMHO it could also be a typical Blyxa flower still enclosed in the spathe. We'll see :)

·
Registered
5,314 Posts
Hi TooManyHobbies,

Very interesting; if that is a Blyxa I think this will be the first time I have seen that species.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The small flower bud is growing towards the end of the pod and should emerge soon.

Now, I just need to make sure my 3 year old does not play in the tank from behind on the stairs and break it off!

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
The flower is as open as it is going to get. The white parts are the three stigmas, the female parts that receive the pollen. This flower has rudimentary petals and green sepals. This is a very nice closeup of the Vallisneria flower by asukawashere.

What you are calling the pod is the three fused ovaries of the flower. If fertilized, this part will enlarge and become a fruit with a large number of seeds inside.

The Blyxa flower, in contrast has three prominent petals and a rather small ovary. The stem of the flower is not spiraled. The flower pokes straight up out of the water. It has both sexes: carpels (female) and stamens (male). Vallisneria has male plants that produce male flowers and female plants that produce female flowers.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Glare spot - OK thx, I didn't know the usual English word for that.
If really Blyxa, the flower would grow out of the spathe and then look like in Paul's Blyxa flower pic on p. 1. For Blyxa ID => pressed specimen of the plant with flowers as well as fruits with seeds.

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
Glare spot - OK thx, I didn't know the usual English word for that.
If really Blyxa, the flower would grow out of the spathe and then look like in Paul's Blyxa flower pic on p. 1. For Blyxa ID => pressed specimen of the plant with flowers as well as fruits with seeds.
Calling it a light reflection is perfectly fine in English - I was more amused by the fact that you labeled it at all... 'cause all the other labels are about the anatomy of the plant... oh, never mind, I have a weird sense of humor. XD

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.