Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being that I'm revegetating my 55gal...

I have a huge piece of bogwood I use in the aquarium. Its probably 2/5 of the length, and most of the width (although rather short). My brigs and cories absolutely love it, so I leave it in with the large-footprint configuration (its more or less half of a log, I leave the wide half down).

Its sort of hard to come up with creative plant configurations though as it takes up so much room (especially with 2 hanging filters pouring in as well). Does anyone have neat ideas or examples? Some things I have immediately available:
sunset
red ludwigia (growing back, mostly sprouts on roots right now)
broad-leaved swords (usually don't use in the 55 as the wood takes up so much space)
some val sprouts
some glosso
some limno aromatica
virtually unlimited java ferns and java moss (wood already has a lot of moss on it))

·
Registered
816 Posts
I have managed to get some crypts and glosso growing on my driftwood. Although the glosso is more or less growing in the java moss. Looks kinda neat. I keep the moss trimmed from growing over the glosso. That might be an idea. OH yeah some chinese ivy growing the same way... taking over the tank. looks great.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm, that could work, I hadn't thought glosso would take off into moss.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I think a hydrocotyle species growing over the top in a vine type appearance would be nice. Maybe add some bolbitis. Maybe take some of the java moss off and try other moss types. You could also try some riccia. I'm sure you could find some nice stuff in the for sale forum.

·
Registered
341 Posts
If the wood is taking up to much space from front to back, you could saw the back half or third off. If you only cut the back third the rough edges won't show and you will have room to put some stems in back. Bolbitis would look great peaking out from the top. I bought a wood burner to darken cut edges on my drift wood, with a little practice and careful planting you can't even tell it was cut! Good luck:cool:

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've tried to cut the bogwood before and its like cutting a rock...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts