Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Re: Bolbitis Heteroclita Cuspidata - "Micro"

Yes, that's a good reference for both Bolbitis heteroclita forms, however both pics show only the emersed plants. More infos and pics in the cited Datz 12-2009. (Is there already an English translation of the Datz article?)
Infos from the website:
- few years ago Tropica handed out few exemplars of the ferns to specialized hobbyists
- both ferns came from Botanical Garden Berlin, labeled as "Bolbitis cuspidata" and "Bolbitis difformis"
- Kasselmann's literature research showed that both plants belong to the variable species Bolbitis heteroclita.

B. heteroclita "cuspidata" was originally described as B. cuspidata, B. heteroclita "difformis" as Edanyoa difformis.
There are much more B. heteroclita forms in cultivation, see Hennipman (1977), A Monograph of the Fern Genus Bolbitis.

@Vasteq: Do You think that the B. h. "Cuspidata Micro" is different from B. h. "Cuspidata" under same conditions? I guess it's the same fern.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts

Hello Vasteq,
thank You for clarifying.
So the trade names "Micro" and "Mini" are actually unnecessary and used in the trade in a confusing way, too, therefore I mean it would be best to leave them out and to call these ferns B. h. "cuspidata" and B. h. "difformis" only.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts

I agree, I much prefer using the Latin names to avoid confusion.
In this case, "cuspidata" and "difformis" as not accepted botanical names are only auxiliary names to term particular cultivated strains of B. heteroclita, without taxonomic value. So they are in the same category as other auxiliary non-latin (and IMO necessary) names in quotation marks such as "Pantanal" or "Red", or even "Micro" and "Mini", similar to cultivar names. I mean, in this case preferring them not because they are Latin names, but because they were there first, and are unambiguous as each is apparently used for 1 heteroclita strain only.

It would be a different case if "Micro" and "Mini" are meant as popular / vernacular names, e.g. Micro Bolbitis or Mini Bolbitis.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts

Are these ferns true aquatic plants? I have read that they do poorly over time when left submerged.
True aquatic is somewhat difficult to define, there's a number of plant species not classified as true aquatic by the botanists because in their natural habitats they don't grow in water the most time, nevertheless they can grow permanently submersed in tanks. E.g. Staurogyne repens.
I had the "cuspidata" and the "difformis" variants of Bolbitis heteroclita submersed for many months, they grew steadily but didn't look really good because mature leaves got brownish soon - that means, not decaying soon but looking rather ugly.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts

sounds like better for a paly or viv?
The cuspidata grows well submersed and is a quite easy aquarium plant, although it stays much smaller than emersed. The submersed cuspidata in Vasteq's pics at the beginning of the thread look better than my plants when I grew them in my tank (often blackish leaves), it's surely a matter of nutrient and CO2 supply.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.