Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a brackish tank with puffers and I was wondering what plants I can add. I have a 24w t5Ho sunblaze and have heard that java fern can grow in brackish water. Is that true? Are there any others? The specific gravity of the tank is about 1.012, but if there are plants that can live in a slightly less salty environment I can lower it a bit. I can add more light, that is not a problem. Also co2 if I need to but I was thinking to keep the tank low tech.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
That's a great link, Trena. I was just reading about this in a book this evening, "Creating a Natural Aquarium" by Peter Hiscock. He says Vals and Java Fern are the 2 most able to adjust to brackish water, but they (and the others) must be "acclimatized slowly to the higher salinity levels" (p 123).

I would never have guessed that Vals could do it. Interesting. :-k

·
Premium Member
7,475 Posts
You have a little over 1wpg. Which is a little on the low end, even for low light plants. Then you also have the depth to think about. But if you don't won't to change lights, the lower light plants will do ok. All you really need is 30 watts to get 1.5wpg, so you are not that far off anyways.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts