Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came home tonight to no CO2 bubbling, and when I opened the pantry closet I found a big puddle of water with my regulator lying in the middle of it, next to the now-empty tank. I had just filled the tank on Monday. The threaded collar on the regulator sheared off above the threads, which is sort of scary. It was from Red Sea. Anyone ever have this happen? I think next time I will get one that is all brass, from a welding shop. But first I have to replace a light fixture on the same tank; it died sometime yesterday. Why did I think that once a tank is set up, it wouldn't keep costing money?!? Grrr.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I would be going back to place of purchase and discuss warranty issues...

I'm not a huge fam of High Pressure and plastic...

Good luck..

John

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It looks like it was made of some sort of aluminum alloy. I don't know if I would trust a replacement. I dug my paintball set-up out of the closet, switched some things around, and ordered LED strips for my 50 gallon. They cost $260.00 but will cost 70% less to run than the two CFs they are replacing, so that should pay me back in about... ten years. The regulator can wait for now.

·
Registered
932 Posts
what leds? I know some don't put out enough or right spectrum for planted tanks. you should check out hte lighting forum here as there was alot of discussion about it.

Craig

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am very glad the tank and regulator were in a closet, and I am glad I wasn't home because that would have scared the #@!* out of me. The LED strips are interesting... a local fish store carries them, and retrofits flourescent light fixtures (remove the ballast). They are in the form of a tube, like a T12 bulb, but they don't need a reflector. They carry 3000K, 6500K, 10000K, 12000K, etc. The 48" 6500Ks I ordered put out the equivalent of 80 watts each, so it will be an upgrade from the two 65 watt CF's in Coralife's crummy fixtures.

http://www.exotic-aquarium.com/index2.html

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
When you get your lights done I'd love to see it. I do think LED's are gonna be the wave of the future. They may not be like the ones we know now, but they are making great strides in this technology.

Orlando at greenleaf just got a paint ball regulator. It's fantastic. I've had it running for a couple of weeks now. Great precision. It's basically like his other regulators with a bubble counter and dual dials. They are great.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Sadly, I think your going to be very disapointed in those LEDs. They are a bunch of 5mm LEDs, and the life is in serious question...

http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/blog.php?bt=2869#comment2869 includes a chart on the life of high power LEDs and 5mm. As you can see, by the time you reach 10K hours, original output is almost nill while the HP LED keeps going. Also, 5mm offer very little in the way of PAR... even with literally hundreds over the tank.

Also, the guy that owns that shop was over on a reef forum, a little bit of an argument broke out, the LED guys on the forum wanted to see hard figures (PAR values) of the lights inquestion, the guy refused at all to give any kind of PAR value, instead gives a lux measurement (useless) as proof that the bulbs work. Very very shady.

If I were you, I'd be returning them ASAP. For the same amount of money you can put together a good sized HP array.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts