Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks, My RO water comes out with a ph of 6 if not lower (lowest reading on my test kit) What is my best option for buffering it,I was thinking Equilibrium for starts but with it being so low is there another good supplement for just increasing the ph.-------------------------------------- Thanks, Jim

·
Registered
1 Posts
There are two types of hardness to your water: General (GH) and Carbonate (KH). Equilibrium will buffer the GH of the water (primarily calcium and magnesium), but have little effect on your pH. To buffer your pH you will need a pH buffer or alkalinity buffer (aka carbonate hardness) I would assume that you do not want phosphates in your water if you are using an RO unit, so be careful in choosing a pH buffer, as most are phosphate buffers. This is due to the stable nature of phosphates and their ability for more stable, long-term pH control. One option is Alkaline Buffer, which contains no phosphates and raises carbonate hardness, which in turn raises pH.

·
Banned
2,069 Posts
pardalisjk said:
Hi folks, My RO water comes out with a ph of 6 if not lower (lowest reading on my test kit) What is my best option for buffering it,I was thinking Equilibrium for starts but with it being so low is there another good supplement for just increasing the ph.-------------------------------------- Thanks, Jim
Just mix it with your tap, adjust it to about 3 degrees of KH.
pH is not particularly important except when you need to measure CO2 and you need the KH measurment as well.

Baking soda(KH), CaCl2 & MgSO4(GH) can be used to adjust these to whatever levels you desire.

Not sure why you use RO though........you certainly do NOT need it for the plants, they don't care and do bettter generally in hard, not soft water.

PO4 in the tap is blessing as well, then you do not haver to dose it or as much, you just do a water change.

Why remove the plant nutrients only to add them back again? This only makes more work and expense for you in the long run.

You might have fish that like softer water, in that cause adjust the blend with RO to a KH of 3. Add CO2 and you are down to about 6.4-6.5. Any wild fish will do fine in those conditions.

If you weant to see what the pH really is of the rO water product, let the water sit in a cup for 24 hours, then measure the pH, it will be higher than 6 I'll bet. The tap water in WI is loaded with CO2.
That will lower the pH. The RO does not remove CO2. Tap often has lots of CO2 and O2.

Regards,
Tom Barr

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, I'll try mixing with tap (for my rams and cardinal tetras the KH 13 tap water is a little much for them) by the way Tom the ph was 6 after setting a few days.------------------------------------------------------Thanks again ,Jim

1 - 5 of 5 Posts