Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used Discus Buffer by Seachem? Seachem claims it will adjust water to any acidic pH from 5.8 to 6.8.

It is compatible with their neutral regulater that adjust pH to neutral and maintains it. Softens and conditions, removes both chlorine and chloramine, precipitates toxic metals and promotes clarity. I have tried this product, but my water is to hard. It didn't seem to help, even on repeated attempts (yes I followed directions :)). Level of hardness? Not sure. I live in Indiana and we have extremely hard water due to limestone. My pH runs about 7.8 and drops very little after using this product, then begins to rise slowly. I gotta do something!

I want to get this tank up and going over the weekend. I will now use an RO/DI unit to replace all the tap water that is now circulating in the tank with the imaginary fish, or replace 3/4's of it.

Tank is 90 gal.
4 vho 110 watt actinic white bulbs (yes alot of light)
Red flint substrate
Laterite
Eheim Pro II 2026
Temp 79 degrees

What's your thoughts on using peat?

Thanks for your comments in advance.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discus and Neutral buffers are not recommended for planted tanks, both contain phosphates. Phosphates leads to algae. What you need is Equilbrium and both the Acid and Alkaline buffers. You only need Equilbrium if you're using 100% RO, but I recommend using it as it relieves the need to dose Mg, Ca, and K throughout the whole week untill the next water change.

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
Peat would be a better option than trying to use the chemicals to lower/raise your pH, which is seldom a good situation.

Are you planning to use C02 in this tank? That would be the easiest way to get your pH down where you want it, and keep it stable. You could save yourself a lot of time by using the C02 instead of the time consuming/expensive RO. IMO... :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks all who have responded.

I have an RO/DI unit that was a gift.

Yes, I do plan on purchasing a pressurized CO2 unit.

For now to help with the high pH I plan on using a mixture of RO/DI and tap water for evaporation and water changes. I might add some peat too until the CO2 unit is purchased

1 - 4 of 4 Posts