Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a pleco that will clean up driftwood really well. Are the bush-nose (bristle-nose) better at this that the bulldog (aka rubberlip) pleco's?

Are there other fish that are good "cleaner-uppers" of driftwood?

-Dave

·
Registered
469 Posts
My bushy nosed are quite active and spend a lot of time cleaning the driftwood.
I got one in a tank without driftwood and he spends his time on the glass or on plants. The ones in a tank with driftwood spend a lot of their time from the bottom of it to the top. Not familiar with any others.

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I HAD a rubberlip when I first set up this tank, and he died after 3 days. I was thinking about getting a couple more, but I want to make sure I get something that will do a good job.

Your bushy's must do good work because your wood looks really clean!

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have a bulldog and I never see him on the driftwood, he likes to hide underneath it. He does keeps the glass clean. I also have bristlenoses in other tanks and they always are busy cleaning the driftwood. Although I love my bulldog, the bn seem to be better cleaners.

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a bulldog and I never see him on the driftwood, he likes to hide underneath it. He does keeps the glass clean. I also have bristlenoses in other tanks and they always are busy cleaning the driftwood. Although I love my bulldog, the bn seem to be better cleaners.
Well, that's what I needed to hear. Bristle-nose it is!!

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
I think they are both decent algae cleaners, and the bulldog stays smaller, so that's a plus. The reason you probably see the bristles on the driftwood more is because they are big time wood raspers.

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think they are both decent algae cleaners, and the bulldog stays smaller, so that's a plus. The reason you probably see the bristles on the driftwood more is because they are big time wood raspers.
That's what I'm looking for. If they rasp the wood, it'll stay clean. (I'm still not disciplined enough to keep all that algae at bay with 'sound aquarium practices' :) .)

Jan, do you know if all the Ancistrus (spelling?) will do this, or if it's just a particular species?

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
Sorry for the slow reply davemonkey. Yes, I think all ancistrus will rasp wood, so you should be able to take your pick. :)

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the info, Jan.

Glenn, that's a cool website. Those must have been baby bristle's! They were smaller than the cory cat!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts