Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at a Sony DSC-H10/B to use almost solely for photographing my planted tanks (and for basic digital camera duties ie: ebay auction pics, family parties, etc). It is $299 at best buy. Is this a good option for me? I have no photography experience whatsoever but being in IT I am pretty technically inclined. Is there anything better for my purpose in this price range? Anything I should know?

·
Registered
469 Posts
The camera is just fine and has a nice sized screen for viewing. Don't forget to get a tripod for those aquarium shots.
Read the book and practice the manual settings without flash and you'll soon be a pro. Enjoy.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Yep, get used to using the manual mode, the pictures look alot better.. I used to use a point & shoot & had alot of trouble with the flash reflecting off the tank.
The owners manual tells you how to use the camera, but a decent book to get that is really helping me learn alot is...
"Understanding Exposure" (revised) by Bryan Peterson.

·
Registered
149 Posts
You could buy a medium format film camera such as a hasselblad. But it's not digital, it requires an odd film size that only specialty camera stores would probably have to custom order for you... okay nevermind. For $200 or less you can buy a digital and still have more options than you know what to do with. :D

sorry that really wasn't all very helpful...

·
Registered
138 Posts
I bought a Canon Powershot S5 and I am very happy with it. I have an extension tube that I leave on all the time with a filter on it for protection.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts