Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What?! What's this C. wendtii 'Florida Sunset' you ask?

Last year when GWAPA visited Florida Aquatic Nurseries, we spotted a new crypt varient in their 'R&D' section. It peaked our interest back then and several of us were talking about it on the drive back home. Today I've been informed that this will be a new variety that FAN will be introducing to the market at the upcoming AGA Convention.

New hotness!

I hope that, like 'Green Gecko', this variety holds it color submersed. I'll definitely be trying to aquire some of this at the convention.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Is this the variegated one FAN was talking about? I was expecting white variegation. Not so sure if I like this or not.

Cheers.
Jim

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is this the variegated one FAN was talking about? I was expecting white variegation. Not so sure if I like this or not.

Cheers.
Jim
You mean you don't like the color? Submersed it'll probably be a little different. The pink will probably fade to
a lighter shade.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I'm kinda ambivalent about this one. I'd have to see it in person. The pink makes it look sort of like the plant is in serious trouble and may be dying. I think these new "types" with streaks and weird coloring on the leaves are often a result of a mutation or a virus and can be quite variable plant to plant and condition to condition (as can be seen on the surrounding plants). I wonder if they can mericlone this type of plant (like they do with orchids)?

·
Premium Member
5,865 Posts
I think I'll pass on this one.
...but it has so much pink in it. Think man, a tank filled with this, Sunset Hygro and cordata 'Rosanervig' and you'd be in heaven! :lol:

Personally, I think it's intriguing. I'm skeptical that it will stay that way submersed though.

·
Banned
1,623 Posts
Brandon Mclane of FAN told me today this plant is a strain of wendtii mi oya, and was reproduced by tissue culture from a mutation. They have been clonning the mutation over and over for two years to get the variation constant. The coloring does vary, and in most cases he told me the leaves have several different shades of pink, mixed together. In some cases there is a little bit of white, but not enough to be called "variegated". I thought the original mi oya was also a mutation.

Developing strains from mutations is nothing new, and its not done just for color. Sunset hygrophila was developed by FAN from a mutation. E. parviflorus var tropica was a mutation.

FAN is sending me several plants this friday, and it will be available in mass production in 30 days or so. I will be selling the plants I am getting this week to any body who wants them.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
My LPS was able to get about 15 pots in one of their plant orders. I will be picking some up shortly!

We'll see how the plant does underwater :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts