Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently running a 29g FW lightly planted aquarium, I went to buy ferts and noticed that Ca and Mg are listed as availible...

Do i need them, and according to the EI method, how often should i dose?

· Registered
525 Posts
for the E.I. method no you dont need them all thats required is KNO3 and KH2PO4 and trace.

with a lightly planted aquarium be careful with your dosing as the ferts will build fast if their arnt enough plants to uptake the ferts.

EDIT:someone will come along and explain their uses im sure, I do recommend reading http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/pps-analysis-feedback/39491-newbie-guide-pps-pro.html

I love the E.I. method for the growth rate and such. but i have found the maint. was to much for me and i would have to do multiple water changes because i didnt have enough plants

I have found the PPS-Pro a easier method for me and IMHO the plants look nicer but they do not grow as fast. i have also found it easier to tweak the PPS-Pro system for my needs.

· Banned
732 Posts
If you are using water from a public supply or a well it is very unlikely that you need to add Ca or Mg. In fact it is more likely that there will be too much Ca/Mg in your water.

If you are using RO or distilled water you will have to add some of these.

Like Oregon Aqua I’m using PPS-pro. I am also doing 20% water change per week. If your interested, I’m testing the water weekly and publishing the results in the PPS feedback forum.

· Registered
299 Posts
I see plenty of people around running RO soft water tanks with 0 ca and Mg and grow nice plants. Ive always been stumped on this one. Not sure If I see improvements when I need them and Im using NJ tap water. RIght now Im not dosing and everything seems fine but curious if they are really needed as these people running soft water 0 GH tanks usually use aquasoil or something like that and I would think these have trace amounts of CA and or MG. hmmmmmmmmm:loco:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.