Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently running a 29g FW lightly planted aquarium, I went to buy ferts and noticed that Ca and Mg are listed as availible...

Do i need them, and according to the EI method, how often should i dose?

·
Registered
525 Posts
for the E.I. method no you dont need them all thats required is KNO3 and KH2PO4 and trace.

with a lightly planted aquarium be careful with your dosing as the ferts will build fast if their arnt enough plants to uptake the ferts.

EDIT:someone will come along and explain their uses im sure, I do recommend reading http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/pps-analysis-feedback/39491-newbie-guide-pps-pro.html

I love the E.I. method for the growth rate and such. but i have found the maint. was to much for me and i would have to do multiple water changes because i didnt have enough plants

I have found the PPS-Pro a easier method for me and IMHO the plants look nicer but they do not grow as fast. i have also found it easier to tweak the PPS-Pro system for my needs.

·
Banned
732 Posts
If you are using water from a public supply or a well it is very unlikely that you need to add Ca or Mg. In fact it is more likely that there will be too much Ca/Mg in your water.

If you are using RO or distilled water you will have to add some of these.

Like Oregon Aqua I’m using PPS-pro. I am also doing 20% water change per week. If your interested, I’m testing the water weekly and publishing the results in the PPS feedback forum.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I see plenty of people around running RO soft water tanks with 0 ca and Mg and grow nice plants. Ive always been stumped on this one. Not sure If I see improvements when I need them and Im using NJ tap water. RIght now Im not dosing and everything seems fine but curious if they are really needed as these people running soft water 0 GH tanks usually use aquasoil or something like that and I would think these have trace amounts of CA and or MG. hmmmmmmmmm:loco:

·
Registered
133 Posts
It depends on the plants you are growing. There are much more plants that need soft water than there are plants that need hard water. Unless if you are experiencing deficiencies you dont really need it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts