Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Very good question. I'm confused about this too.

I'm dosing in my 310-litres tank based on Fertilator:
10 ppm Ca from CaCl2 (19.23 grams, roughly 4 tsp CaCl2)
2.5 ppm Mg from MgSO4 (6.65 grams, roughly 1 tsp MgSO4)

..each full-dose when I see less pearling from plants.

·
Registered
298 Posts
No, not to me.

I would like to read about the inner workings of wich ion balance Ca, SO4, K, Mg that is generally good to plants. Also this NO3-Ca-thing would be nice if some could break down a bit. P seems to compete with Ca also.

My water company recently dropped the GH to below 2 and the curling are gettnig worse.

Less PO4 (less growth-rate) and a more adquate gentle circulation seems to have improved things with my A. reineckii, but the L. glandulosa still shows twisted leaves.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Edward said:
For the Ca, one tsp per 75gall / 300l in few weeks time will do the trick. I keep the Ca between 20 - 30 ppm. These two elements are not being taken by plants as fast as NO3 and PO4 so keeping it in order is not difficult.
I *think* this is part of the problem people have with Ca-deficiencies: Too fast growth due to perfect nutrient levels and high light.

Ca is easily outcompeted/displaced by other ions like Mg, K, P and thereby the Ca-deficiencies are easily triggered with relatively high PMDD-levels, perfect CO2 and high light.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts