Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Any one trying to grow this species (not in Australia) or similar aquatic plants would be well served to study this document. I suspect that Ambulia has similar demands, a plant I have in my tanks. I can't grow Cabomba as it has been declared a biohazard in Oz. It seems that Aussie weed scientists are becoming experts in this plant species.

Of interest to me was:
  • the PH problem (my waters are PH8)
  • temperature effects. Cabomba's ability to die off in winter in the South and grow back in spring/summer.

I was a bit shocked that they think it is displacing native hornwort since our local hornwort is one tough plant able to grow submersed and emergent in very difficult conditions. Like duckweed, it is hard to kill.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
I wouldn't assume Ambulia/L. sessiliflora are simular. B. carolinia is a North American native and is a perennial. I guess that's why they can bounce back after winter.
Looks like Ambulia is from the tropics of SE Asia.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Any one trying to grow this species (not in Australia) or similar aquatic plants would be well served to study this document. I suspect that Ambulia has similar demands, a plant I have in my tanks. I can't grow Cabomba as it has been declared a biohazard in Oz. It seems that Aussie weed scientists are becoming experts in this plant species.

Of interest to me was:
  • the PH problem (my waters are PH8)
  • temperature effects. Cabomba's ability to die off in winter in the South and grow back in spring/summer.

I was a bit shocked that they think it is displacing native hornwort since our local hornwort is one tough plant able to grow submersed and emergent in very difficult conditions. Like duckweed, it is hard to kill.
Yes, Hornwort is a vigorous plant hard to out compete with, but it is fully aquatic plant that is not supposed to grow emersed..

Ambulia is declare invasive plant in some states in US, Cabomba is not as it is a native plant.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts