Aquatic Plant Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to purchase some CaCl2 locally (not online). Does anyone know what name(s) this product is marketed under? Brand names would be greatly appreciated. Anything I should avoid/look for in particular?

Thank you for any assistance.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Try looking at the big hardware stores, in the area where they sell de-icers. I don't live in the frost-belt so I found it where they sell dehumidifiers. A product called Dri-Z-Air. Comes in 26oz bags and was ~$3.50. It looks just like Kent Turbo Calcium.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for all the responses fellas. The problem I have with de-icer/snower products is hat they are really dirty. I went shopping last week and all the de-icer/snower products that I could find were coated with gray dust. Is this normal? It's really nasty. I am afraid of using them. There are also other ingredients listed on the label like K, Na, etc. Are they safe? Any clue where I may obtain CaCl2 without these impurities? I am spoiled by pure white CaCO3 powder purchased from local breweries. [smilie=k:

[quote=bharada]Try looking at the big hardware stores, in the area where they sell de-icers. I don't live in the frost-belt so I found it where they sell dehumidifiers. A product called Dri-Z-Air. Comes in 26oz bags and was ~$3.50. It looks just like Kent Turbo Calcium.[/quote]
Dri-Z-Air sounds like it will suck moisture from the air. Does this mean that I'll have to keep it tightly covered or it will turn hard and clumpy on me?

Hehehe bharada. Like you, there isn't a place that the sun don't shine around my neck of the woods; so de-icer/snower are new to me as well. [smilie=l:

---

So do you think I should go ahead and get the dirty de-icer/snower stuff or is there something else you would recommend? :-s What kind of CaCl2 is the Fertilator calculating? Oodle of thanks for your help guys.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
CaCl2 as used in de-icing is manufactured as a side product of the Solvay process to make sodium carbonate. De-icers have additions. See the details at the bottom of this page.

I guess de-icer was not really formulated to be eaten :neutral: .

For food grade CaCl2, try checking your phone directory for culinary supplies - especially for pickling. We all know that the Low Country region has plenty of home made pickles - so you should be able to buy some from a good local cook shop. It might be called "pickling lime" - but that is calcium hydroxide in most cases. Here is an example of a pickling CaCl2 product.

CaCl2 is used in the pickling process to make fruit and vegetables stay firm. Some picklers use alum as a substitute. Note, this does not mean CaCl2 is edible in the pure powder form - it is not. Only a tablespoon or two are used in the pickling process to pretreat the vegetables or fruit. Food grade CaCl2 is pure.

Adding water to CaCl2 powder causes an exothermic reaction - gives off heat - which you should avoid. Add CaCl2 to water (not the other way round).

Andrew Cribb

·
Registered
174 Posts
That page says that the ingredients in Quick Joe Ice Melt are used for plant nutrients. I use it in my tanks and it's very clean- no grey, dissolves easily.

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
Have you tired your local mom and pop pharmacy (not the big box stores)? Some of them may have cacl2 hanging around. If they do, it will be pure, unlike ice-melt.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I bought Peladow ice melt(made by Dow) online. Shipping is twice as much as product, still averages to $1/lb for 50lb bag.
Info I got on a website:
"Snow And Ice Melter. Specially Formulated 100 % Calcium Chloride Pellets Melt At Temperatures Down To 10 Below Zero. Dow Peladow 50lb. Bag"

Shucks, I went to dow.com directly and found out it is also only 90% CaCl2, oh well. No adverse effect so far I can see.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.