Aquatic Plant Forum banner
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

· Registered
473 Posts
aquaverde said:
In the lower right corner is C. pygmaea. Stay low
Cryptocoryne pygmaea is 6" tall (so far) in my high light tank. :shock: The crown is buried 2+" below the substrate line.

EDIT: Thank you for the spelling correction. I always forget that last 'a'. :oops:

· Registered
243 Posts
Please excuse my dyslexia. The pygmaea is in the lower left corner, as indicated by the printing on the photo (corrected the text). I've had it in my tank a number of months and it is the slowest growing crypt I have.
(EDIT: the slowest growing crypt in the tank. I have emersed parva that is slower)

· Registered
504 Posts
Travis, Does your red wendtii look like my red wendtii? Do any other of your wendtii varieties look like mine?
HeyPK - I'll try to get some pictures of my crypts tonight and post them. My red wendtii (unless they're brown - I'm red-green color-blind so I could easily be wrong :oops: ) are getting big and bushy, quite a bit larger than the red wendtii you've got posted. You'll be able to better tell when you see the pics.

· Registered
4,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I am quite sure that my red wendtii is a different plant from the red wendtii that you and others have now. I am not even sure it is a wendtii, but it probably is. It is an interesting crypt, and, if the the light is at all good, it is a dark chocolate brown on top and a dark red-brown underneath. Right now I only have a few plants of it eking out an existence in a gallon jar that gets hardly more than room light. I am going to have to get it in a better-lit tank and multiply it up for trade or give away purposes.

· Registered
504 Posts
Here a couple of pics of my wendtii Reds. I really notice a difference in the one growing in the shade, it's growth seems to be much faster than the one growing in the full light.

· Registered
4,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Thanks for all the pictures, everybody. Everybody's red wendtii (except mine) looks the same, and the plant is getting quite easy for me to recognize, now. The color of the green above, and the red on the underside seems quite consistent. I think I will start calling mine the "chocolate wendtii" just to differentiate it .

· Registered
243 Posts
In a high light tank with CO2, my red wendtii has turned chocolate color on top with red below as you describe. These are so variable, I shy away from color descriptions as definitive for identification. No pic available at this time.

· Registered
4,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
In a high light tank with CO2, my red wendtii has turned chocolate color on top with red below as you describe. These are so variable, I shy away from color descriptions as definitive for identification. No pic available at this time.
Just when I thought I had good evidence that my wendtii was different!! I guess the only way to resolve this will be to get one of the red wendtii plants that looks like the ones in the pictures that have been recently posted here and grow it side by side with mine.

· Registered
4,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I had one plant sent to me as C. usteriana, and now I am pretty sure it is C. affinis. It is rather small, and the undersides of the leaves are brownish red.

I now have what I am assured by no less than Jan Bastmeijer what is really C. usteriana. It is a little plant that is just getting started and has only one new leaf. I guess I was expecting it to look more like C. aponogetifolia.

Richard Sexton has pictures of C. usteriana at
http://viewimages.aquaria.net/plants/Cryptocoryne/u/UST/
The plant gets really big. The leaves of his plant are not elongated like the ones shown in Kasselmann. Also, the pink color underneath on Richard's plants isn't like the rusty color underneath the first new leaf of my plant. We shall have to wait and see what my plant develops into---------.

Attachments

· Registered
1,714 Posts

Here is an unknown crypt that I have growing submersed...ill try to update this with an emmersed pic tomorrow. Dont know what it is, but I remember that it is not a wendtii, or at least I did not buy it as a wendtii. I think the pics color is a little off as well, as there is some brown in the leaves.

· Registered
4,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
My guess is that it was sold to you as c. lutea, and so it is really one of the C. walkeri varieties. My plant in the picture (sold to me as C. lutea) is getting more direct light and is a bit more brown. This plant seems to be one of the easiest of all to grow. It has long petioles and narrow leaves.

Attachments

· Registered
1,717 Posts
My Cryptocoryne wendtii 'Tropica' in my emersed setup:

And here's Cryptocoryne wendtii 'Red' (left) and Cryptocoryne wendtii 'Mi Oya' (right). Can you tell the difference? Only labeling and their differing submersed growth forms allow me to tell them apart!:

Carlos

21 - 40 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.