Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I came home today to visit for the weekend. I went into my room to check on my aquarium, plants fish, etc. My dad asked me why my filter wasn't running like it used to (Why he didn't call me.....I have no clue). I decided to look and noticed that no water was coming out of it. I thought it was off but I could definitely hear it running, so I immediately opened my cabinet and unplugged it. I opened it up and there was black crap all over it(like motor oil). It also smelled burnt. Turns out my filter floss got clogged up and due to my family's lack of maintenance/care about my aquarium, was cutting off water flow to my aquarium. I had to clean the whole thing up, but i'm not sure if I should use it. I'm gonna buy new pads, etc. tomorrow because I dont trust putting those ones that had the motor oil crap on them. Should I even attempt to salvage my filter, becausae i'm not sure if the motor has burned out or is okay, or just guilt trip my parents into buying me a new one? It was a Filstar XP2. Anyone know what might be wrong with it?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you referring to the white polishing pad they include with the filter? Those things can get clogged in an instant! Maybe you could try calling Rena, and complaining?

I suggest not using the fine polishing pads in the future, those things are bad news.
Well it wasn't rena's brand of pad, it was some filter floss i bought at petsmart, but yes it certainly did, i've definitely learned my lesson from those things.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I say, clean it, put it back on and run it. But keep a close eye on it. I think it should be fine if the motor is still cranking

·
Registered
16 Posts
If you are going to use filter floss I would buy it from Walmart. Comes in a sack about the size of a pillow for $2 and change including tax, normally used for batting.

I had never thought that quilting had anything to do with aquariums until one of my aquatic buddies put me onto this stuff. Exactly the same as you buy at the pet stores but about 1/10th of the price, you find it in the fabric department.

Steve

·
Premium Member
1,403 Posts
Did you not have it in the media cannister? I can imagine any media getting out of one of those.

·
Registered
86 Posts
as a parent of six kids and a grandparent of three, all i could do was laugh at this post and it may upset you but i truly found this funny ROFLMAO.
So I came home today to visit for the weekend.
:D hay welcome come in glad to see you.

I went into my room to check on my aquarium,
maintenance/care lacking if you ask me

why my filter wasn't running like it used to
dad----->hum something not right make note

(Why he didn't call me.....I have no clue).
when johnny/critter333294 comes buy tell him the tanks not right, but it's still holding water so the floor/MY house will be fine for now.

due to my family's lack of maintenance/care about my aquarium
who's hobby is this anyway, i wish some one would do all my maintenance/care and i will just come look at the fish, oh wait my friend has a tank i can go look at.

or just guilt trip my parents into buying me a new one?
ok do to the rules of the form i needed to tone this one down. this would have been close to my answer. "get real i don't even care, as long as you don't get the floor wet"

Anyone know what might be wrong with it?
ya it''s your tank not your dad's.

i am sorry if this offends, you but i found it funny, it sound to me like you are in school or something, so please just enjoy the laugh.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts