Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Might have to glue some Seiryu stones together or glue some Seiryu stones to base stones to improve stability in my tank layout.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Two options, aquarium silicone (or GE RTV-108 ), or for a stronger hold try reef putty coated with Super Glue Gel. The putty is stiffer than silicone, the Super Glue Gel assists the putty's bond where it lacks, reaches into crevices etc. All are aquarium safe. A dot of Super Glue Gel is also the quickest/easiest way to mount rhizome plants to rocks and wood.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I was thinking reef glue as well. In what ratio would you mix them? After how long is it totally water safe?

Great idea re using super glue for securing rhizome plants. After how long is it water safe? Does the object you are gluing to have to be dry?

·
Registered
381 Posts
It doesn't necessarily have to be dry, the gel is pretty easy to work with, just a drop will do. Supposedly, it's water soluble and will slowly waste away, but the plants are already attached by then.

For the reef putty, flatten out a piece and smear some SG gel on the side before smashing onto a rock, same for the opposite side, it'll creep into places and help the bond so the putty isn't so prone to losing grip.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks jaidexl. How long to cure before putting back into water?

If water soluble, is it safe?

Which brands of super glue and reef putty do you use, and where do you get them?

How much reef putty do you use to fix 2 small or medium size rocks leaning against each other, or to fix one rock standing on top of another?

·
Registered
930 Posts
I saw someone glue rocks onto metal with silicone. Was told that if it %100 silicone it is okay. I think everbright silicone would work. It can be bought at Lowe's

·
Registered
381 Posts
Thanks jaidexl. How long to cure before putting back into water?

If water soluble, is it safe?

Which brands of super glue and reef putty do you use, and where do you get them?

How much reef putty do you use to fix 2 small or medium size rocks leaning against each other, or to fix one rock standing on top of another?
Apparently it's safe, I've never had a problem and haven't heard of anyone else having one either, the word is that cyanoacrylate is aquarium safe. If reefers are using it in their 500gl tanks of acropora, then it can't be bad.

Any reef putty will do, mine is an old stick and doesn't have the name on it. Super Glue is the brand name of the gel I use, just make sure you get 'gel' and not regular. Any cyanoacrylate glue will work, but the gels don't wash away in the water column. I don't let it cure at all, straight into the tank, same as would happen if you have a coral frag, you would want to get it back in the water immediately, so again that's been tested out by our trusty reef brothers already. Smash it, dab it, dunk it. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
930 Posts
jaidexl that is very interesting. I will add that to my aquarium info folder.

·
Registered
816 Posts
superglue is also wonderful in closing wounds. I've used it many times this way. I will have to consider super glueing my java ferns to my betta tank.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts