Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question and I'll ask it using an imaginary tank, to keep things clear and simple.

Imagine that I have a tank filled with a whole lot of healthy nice-and-green, say, Hygrophila Polysperma (or any plant for that matter I guess). The plants are fertilised regularly and CO2 injection is being used.

Now, let's say I turn the lights off above the tank for a few days (and suspend fertilisation/CO2).

When I turn the lights back on, the plant is still there, of course, but it is no longer it's nice lush green colour, but now more of a yellowy green (i.e. the plant looks a bit sickly yellow, but is certainly still alive). It has turned yellowy green, I guess, due to the fact that chlorophyll has reduced in concentration in the leaf tissue?

With the lights back on and normal fertilisation, CO2 etc resumed, will the existing leaves on the plant regain their original lush green colouration (i.e. new cholorphyll), or will only new leaves grow in with lush colour?

Scott.

·
Registered
114 Posts
It can, depending on the damage. But most likely the "newer growth" would come in healthy.

A good practice to a condition such as this may be to top trim the plants, diecard the bottoms and regenerate anew.

However, anubias, once damaged will most likly not rebound if the leaf is heavily damaged.

Opinions and experiences may vary.

·
Registered
534 Posts
There are a lot of variables in this. The condition and maturity of the plant, how much fertilizer is left in the water column and the species of the plant.

·
Super Moderator
5,865 Posts
In short yes. If you had for example a nice healthy stand of Limnophila aromatica, but it was mostly green in color you could cease dosing nitrates for a couple of days and continue with phosphorus dosing. With ample micro supplementation you would be rewarded with deep red Limnophila aromatica. Of course, maintaining such a balance is none too easy to do.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts