Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just planning on breeding daphnia but i’ve finally about had it with the unchecked breeding in my tanks. I rounded up my male swords and they have a new home in here. I put them in mid day (i believe 7 adults) and they almost all seem to be using their mouths to push more water through their gills which suggests low oxygen. Also i didnt notice much pearling today after adding them. This tank was outside and i moved it in last week so its still adjusting a bit too. Tank size is 40b. Im afraid to leave them overnight so i setup a fan atleast for the night. dont have much room for a filter but i could pick up a powerhead tomorrow if need be. lights on 12 off 12.
Plant Leaf Wood Houseplant Flowerpot

·
Super Moderator
4,118 Posts
I would add a small submerged powerhead, at least temporarily. You must make sure that the plants are growing before you can depend on them as a source of O2.
In my potted plant tanks (10 and 20 gal longs), all smaller than a 40 gal breeder, I have lots of plants (Java moss, Subwassertang, moss algae) growing at the bottom and pumping out oxygen. They're all growing, so I can get away with it, but it's probably not ideal. Bottom layer of water is pretty cold. Still, my guppies are doing okay. It's an iffy situation...

·
Super Moderator
6,079 Posts
The size of the tank, number of fish, and absence of circulation are not a problem per se. But if the fish are gasping at the surface, there is a problem somewhere! Put in an air stone or other means of aeration until you figure it out.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
no gasping at surface. When oxygen is low fish breathe more rapidly and use their mouth to push more water through their gills. Similar probably to your breathing after a jog. This is during the photoperiod btw so i didnt want to find out after the night. Anyways I setup a filter for now but i may try to remove it at some point. Plants are growing well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts